Microsoft to shutter Games for Windows Live marketplace on August 22nd

By David Tom
Aug 16, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft will be putting an end to the Xbox.com PC marketplace on August 22, as confirmed by the company’s official support page. The announcement also reiterated the fact that the Microsoft Points system will be retired on the same day;...

Read more
  2. lipe123

lipe123 TechSpot Guru Posts: 422   +75

Who exactly used games for windows live on pc?!

This is the first time ever I've even heard of it and its about to close, no surprise there!

In steam we trust!
  3. General Sam

General Sam TechSpot Member Posts: 26

I enjoyed using it for the achievement system as I play on Xbox 360, I like using my PC with my profile. That is the ONLY reason :)
  4. SolarisGuru

SolarisGuru Newcomer, in training

I wish it would just go away completely. I hate buying a game on Steam and having to use a GFWL account on top of it. Yuck.
    ypsylon likes this.
  5. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TechSpot Maniac Posts: 897   +52

Not too surprising, Microsoft hasn't done much with the service for the last few years.
  6. yukka

yukka TechSpot Paladin Posts: 714   +28

The games that work with this service are my least liked games. Warhammer Dawn of War 2, Batman Arkham City. Load them up with Steam then log into an extra layer with Games for Windows. Naf
  7. Oh. This exists.
  8. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,427   +618

Lol, silly commenters. It's only the marketplace that's shutting down, not the service!
  9. Now if they shutter Windows 8, the world would be better off.
    ypsylon likes this.
  10. ypsylon

ypsylon Newcomer, in training Posts: 44   +6

Never used GWL and certainly won't be using $team. That kind of intrusive DRM and spying on users belong in Cold War era.
  11. Kevin82485

Kevin82485 TechSpot Member Posts: 47   +9

I don't think GFWL is as bad as others are saying. I think it is fine. I like that it links to my Xbox 360 account, and that my achievements count toward my Xbox 360 account.

12. Geforcepat

Geforcepat Newcomer, in training Posts: 65   +6

Good Riddance.
  13. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,427   +618

Bump, because it's clear you guys still don't realise GFWL is not going anywhere.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.