Microsoft unbundles Kinect from Xbox One, standalone system coming next month for $399

Shawn Knight

Staff member

microsoft frees xbox kinect standalone system microsoft gaming gaming console xbox one

Microsoft is once again backtracking on what seemed like a firm commitment to not unbundle the Kinect motion-sensing device from their next generation console. As part of a campaign to deliver more choices for fans, the company announced on Tuesday that a Kinect-free Xbox One is indeed in the works.

With the Redmond-based company as it relates to the Xbox One, we’ve learned to never say never.

Microsoft’s Xbox chief Phil Spencer said in a press release that the unbundled Xbox One will launch on June 9 priced at $399 and will be sold in all regions. The current bundle will continue to be sold at the existing $499 price point while a standalone Kinect sensor will be sold later this year for those who purchase the unbundled version but later decide they want it. No word yet on how much the accessory will retail for, however.

The decision no doubt comes as a result of lagging sales versus Sony’s PlayStation 4. Both consoles launched around the same time late last year but the PS4 got off to an early lead which it has yet to relinquish.

Most credit the PS4’s early success to pricing as it sells for $100 less than the Xbox One. Today’s news, however, puts the two systems on an even playing field in terms of price. But will that be enough to sway buyers over to Microsoft’s camp?

Permalink to story.

I thought april passed isnt this a bit late? Microsoft would not remove kinect without spending $1.8trillion dollars taking out the 7.8billion lines of code that make the xbox one require kinect for every little thing even changing LED lights.

LOL just lol :D

I know, right? First MS said you'd always have to play online... then they changed their minds. Then they said they'd always sell it with a Kinect, now they change their mind. Seriously, if MS keeps listening to what their customers want and giving it to them we won't be able to rip on them as much anymore.

That'd be a bummer :)

It's about time. Kinect only works half the time if you're lucky, assuming you want to talk (and wave) to it. With it gone I might buy an XBOX for its media capabilities. No Gold account for streaming could be the deciding factor.

Glad to hear Kinect is now an option. When Kinect becomes a fully formed technology I might get it at that time.

So the paperwork that the consumer put in for a Kinect free Xbox, took a year to process! Microsoft does listen, we just have to wait a year for processing. The paperwork for Win8 must have been lost, we should file again.

Microsoft is not stu-pid; they know the consumer will pay a high price, if that is the only price. Anyone not willing to pay a the price will either not purchase or wait for a lower price (even if that means loosing features).

Still not low enough...
They need a version at 350$.
Make it the DD version without the expensive BD drive. They need to beat Sony on the price.

Now, all we need is GhostRyder to come in and explain how this will actually be a benefit to Microsoft after arguing vigorously that Kinect would not go the way of R.O.B.

Now you can buy a pos console half as powerful as the ps4 for the same price . xboners rejoice

Least there are games for it.

This was a stupid decision, now Kinect will just lose all the extra support it had for developers considering working on games for it.

Too funny. ROFL. So you're implying Xbox One gets one exclusive high profile release in Titanfall and now you can consider XO as having games? Troll on!
Ok and PS4 gets none...
Also Dead Rising 3, Forza 5, Titanfall to name a few while PS4 has what exactly? Right now ive got 1 game for my PS4, second son and that's the only PS4 game to get a good review that's considered close to a "AAA" game (Killzone shadowfall was a literal shadow to the former games). Every other game is on both which isn't counted in the list... All PS4 has is a bunch of "Coming sometime this or next year" labels.

Listening to the customers is turning the Xbox1 into a PS4...next up is faster ram, more shader cores and a controller with a VR light bar.

Wow, Well done Microsoft, I know at least 3 people who will now actually consider buying your console.

Anyway, @GhostRyder, You have a fair point, right now the Xbox One does have a few more games that are of decent quality, but if the PS3 is anything to go by, when the PS4 does get it's exclusive games they'll be incredible. As I've stated in the past, I'm quite happy to wait for a quality game, rather than lots of average games.

Computers getting cheaper with better integrated graphics combined with increasing prices of the consoles should slowly crumble the consoles. $60 dollar console games are, OUCH.

Back