Microsoft warns against Windows XP security update registry hack

Shawn Knight

Staff member

registry windows

Microsoft officially pulled support for Windows XP last month but a new registry hack allows users to continue to receive updates for the dated operating system. It essentially tricks the updater into installing patches intended for a similar operating system.

The workaround was first published by BetaNews and involves changing a few registry settings in XP. Once complete, the updater then sees the XP installation as a copy of Windows Embedded Industry (formerly known as Windows Embedded POSReady) – an OS that will continue to receive security updates and patches until April 9, 2019.

Windows Embedded Industry was designed for point-of-sale systems and is built on the Windows XP kernel which is why the hack works. But whether or not you should use it, however, is a totally different question.

Microsoft recently issued a statement on the matter, correctly pointing out that the security updates that could be installed using the hack aren’t intended for Windows XP. They do not fully protect XP and aren’t tested for compatibility with XP. As such, installing them could lead to a significant risk of functionality issues.

Microsoft added that the best way for Windows XP customers to protect their systems is to upgrade to a more modern operating system like Windows 7 or Windows 8.1. Microsoft will continue to support XP on a paid basis for those that simply can’t upgrade right now but it isn’t cheap.

Permalink to story.

At least Microsoft gave the consumer more than 9 months to use XP without feeling they need to upgrade to the new version, unlike some evil manipulative companies who created a false and rapid upgrade cycle - cough iphone cough - and enough landfill to kill half of india.

I understand if many businesses do not want or need to upgrade to windows 8...thats fine. I have and enjoy it. however, there should be NO reason ANYONE should still be running windows XP...its 2014...get with it. windows 7 is a quick, cheap and easy upgrade install. if you have software that ONLY supports XP then you are an ***** for agreeing to use it. find something new.

if you are dumb enough to still be using this software that is so old every hacker on the planet has been sniffing around it then you get exactly what you deserve.

im sure many will flood me with crap for this but as usual on all my posts I don't watch the topic, receive email or care. =)

I understand if many businesses do not want or need to upgrade to windows 8...thats fine. I have and enjoy it. however, there should be NO reason ANYONE should still be running windows XP...its 2014...get with it. windows 7 is a quick, cheap and easy upgrade install. if you have software that ONLY supports XP then you are an ***** for agreeing to use it. find something new.

if you are dumb enough to still be using this software that is so old every hacker on the planet has been sniffing around it then you get exactly what you deserve.

im sure many will flood me with crap for this but as usual on all my posts I don't watch the topic, receive email or care. =)

Easy said than done. LOL

Yes!!

So,What is new??? XP is 14 years old and has had holes in it for 14 years 11

Back