Microsoft will give you up to $300 to trade in your old laptop

Scorpus

Staff member

Microsoft has just launched a promotion where you can get some cash, up to $300 depending on the model, for trading in your old laptop when you purchase a new one running Windows 10.

If you're trading in an Apple MacBook or iMac, Microsoft will give you the full $300 as these devices carry the most re-sale value. Other laptops, 2-in-ones or all-in-ones will net you a fixed $200, and all devices traded in must still be in working condition, include a power supply, feature a screen larger than 11.3-inches, and be six years old or newer.

Of course to trade in your old laptop you'll first have to purchase a new, qualifying Windows 10 device from the Microsoft Store with a minimum purchase price of $599. There are over 50 models available on the Microsoft Store that qualify, although unfortunately none of Microsoft's Surface devices make the cut.

You'll also only have a short time to make a purchase, with the promotion running between October 14th, 2015 and October 20th, 2015. You will have a bit longer than that to submit an on-line trade-in claim (14 days from the purchase date).

While the above information refers to the United States trade-in promotion, Microsoft is also running a similar deal in the UK, Canada, France, Germany, Taiwan, India, and Brazil.

The cash you'll get for trading in your old laptop isn't much, and in some cases you might be able to get more by selling it yourself through eBay or Craigslist. However it could be a great way to get something for your six-year-old devices, as you can still get $200 for a device released in late 2009 that mightn't go for nearly that much in the second-hand market.

Permalink to story.

Doesn't anyone question why Microsoft are so keen to get everyone onto W10? I suspect the reason would not please everyone.

Doesn't anyone question why Microsoft are so keen to get everyone onto W10? I suspect the reason would not please everyone.

I think only those whose head is in the sand don't realize what's coming - they are just so used to getting shafted that without that it doesn't feel right to them.

So many people are using computers 5-6 years old like me that work just fine. Why do I need to get something new. If it ain't broke don't fix it. What has changed so much that makes it worthwhile. Except for SATA 3 and a faster PCI-E bus now, what do I need to upgrade for?

So many people are using computers 5-6 years old like me that work just fine. Why do I need to get something new. If it ain't broke don't fix it. What has changed so much that makes it worthwhile. Except for SATA 3 and a faster PCI-E bus now, what do I need to upgrade for?
Speed. Websites and video is not getting any smaller. I use to think the same think till my 8 year old PC started going tits up(even with fresh installs), while my 2 year old tablet did video and sites just fine. You're not going to $200 anywhere for a 6 year old laptop whose HDD and MB is past it's prime. If you don't like Windows 10, Newegg still sells Windows 7.
/How in the fark people on a tech site don't know this?

I am running Windows 10 on my desktop just fine. Laptops are disposable, and therefore yes if you have one that is several years old, then yes, you should very much get a new one. However, desktop computers last longer, and browsing the web or watching Youtube doesn't require the latest hardware to do so. Just people who visit this site alone likely are running with older hardware like Core2Duo or Core2Qauds, or even Pentiums from that same LGA 775 socket. They don't upgrade because they don't have the money, or see no benefit.

If you don't like Windows 10, Newegg still sells Windows 7.
You do realize those are OEM license. OEM license is not meant for upgrading/degrading. OEM is meant for systems that have just been built for sales. Therefor placing all warranty/support issues on the IT that installed and sold the OS.

If you don't like Windows 10, Newegg still sells Windows 7.
You do realize those are OEM license. OEM license is not meant for upgrading/degrading. OEM is meant for systems that have just been built for sales. Therefor placing all warranty/support issues on the IT that installed and sold the OS.

Amazon still sell tons of retail copies of Windows 7. Another thing RAM for that newer PC cost much less than the RAM for older models., Plus older mainstream(6 year old) models MoBo's can't handle over 8GB's.

It's the "if you're too much in a hurry to wait for year end sales we'll give you these prices now if you give us an old laptop" sale.

Back