TechSpot

Microsoft will start blocking old Java plugins in Internet Explorer

1. Microsoft announced yesterday that it will soon roll out an Internet Explorer update that will automatically block old, insecure ActiveX controls. Dubbed out-of-date ActiveX control blocking, the feature will be released on August 12 as part of this month's patch Tuesday.

Read more

2. rub900

rub900 TS Member Posts: 76   +6

Who cares. I stopped using IE years ago. My company made chrome the default browser last year. Heyhey bye bye.

3. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,149   +1,424

Dumping support for ActiveX entirely has been long overdue. I don't know what they are thinking...

It was introduced into IE with version 3.0 in 1996, and should have been yanked out from version 9.0 onwards.

4. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Yeah but that won't happen till HTML5 becomes 100% mainstream. I have a feeling once Adobe stops developing Flash player, that may force them to dump plug in support altogether.

5. Railman

Railman TS Booster Posts: 708   +101

This could cause issues with a lot of Oracle applications!

6. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,691   +1,879

Not a terribly creative name, is it? I'll try one. How about, "Bloctive "X". Sorry for that. I'll try to do better the next time.:oops:

You know who might be able to get away with that, John McAffee.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  7. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,318   +618

Technically, ActiveX is not Java and each has its own issues (I will not enumerate here). Sadly, the Oracle Java Plugin is implemented using ActiveX - - convoluted nightmare imo! Most of us (I hope) have long disabled the Java Plugin anyway :giggle:

Secondly, a pure Java application has its own install and class path so all this is moot for those applications. For example, I have a PGP encryption product I use on critical private folders and files. Even when I update the Java RTE, this application is immune unless I make an intervention. That's the correct way to support applications - - the user is in control at ALL TIMES.

8. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,318   +618

Btw: Just updated iTunes from 11.1.11 to 11.3.x - - a Java RTE was included AND startup time vastly improved.