Microsoft withholds Windows 8.1 from devs, sees many editions leaked

Scorpus

Staff member

Update: Microsoft should either stick to a decision or make a better one in the first place. After receiving some expected backlash for not distributing the final version of Windows 8.1 to developers via MSDN and Technet, today they reversed course. Windows 8.1 RTM is now available for downloads to developers along with Windows Server 2012 R2 RTM and Visual Studio 2013 Release Candidate.

Original story follows below:

Earlier in the week, Microsoft revealed that Windows 8.1 had been released to their hardware partners, also confirming rumors that the operating system would not be available for developers and IT professionals through TechNet and MSDN until the general availability date, October 18th.

This annoyed a number of devs, who claim that it's essential for the RTM code to be available through MSDN and TechNet before the general release, so that applications can be tested and made compatible with any OS changes. Microsoft's Brandon LeBlanc stated that in withholding Windows 8.1 from developer channels, Microsoft can continue to "put the finishing touches on Windows 8.1 to ensure a quality experience at general availability for (all) customers."

In response to a lack of RTM code for developers, OEMs - the only people who currently have official access to the final version of Windows 8.1 - have leaked basically every copy of the Windows 8.1 RTM to the web. Neowin reports that the English Windows 8.1 Pro x86 and x64 builds have leaked to the internet, courtesy of Russian leaker WZOR.

As well as the Windows 8.1 builds, RTM copies of Windows Server 2012 R2, Essentials, Enterprise, Hyper-V, and Foundation Storage have leaked. All editions are apparently untouched, Microsoft images of the operating system: the same copies that would presumably be available on MSDN and TechNet if Microsoft had released them there.

While copies of the Windows 8.1 RTM are floating around on the internet, Microsoft will officially release the operating system on October 18th, where it will be delivered as a free update through the Windows Store to existing Windows 8 users. The update introduces a range of new features, including enhanced search and multi-tasking, an improved Start screen with new customization options, and optimizations for smaller tablets.

Permalink to story.

Well I guess this was bound to happen. A lot of pissed-off folks wanted to get their hands on the update before October and someone decided to grant their wish. I'm not saying it was right to leak the code but it's certainly not a surprise.

The update introduces a range of new features, including enhanced search and multi-tasking
Sorry that I'm jumping on the "hate bandwagon" now but how is it a "new feature" when it was working fine in all previous versions of Windows?
I mean multitasking worked pretty good back in NT4, even NT3.1 released 20 years ago?
And the search worked good back in the Win2K days?
https://www.techspot.com/article/596-windows-search-retrogression/

Any exciting prerelease software released to the public will be leaked, it is a given. I think this was a bad move.

I find that Windows 8 search doesn't work very well. Many times I put in a search term (Explorer) and nothing happens, it just sits there. If I change from Libraries to Documents and repeat it usually works. The Metro search stinks, it's slow, locks up at times and you have to manually select Apps, Settings, Files for the results you want. I think Windows 8 Search can be improved.

The update introduces a range of new features, including enhanced search and multi-tasking
Sorry that I'm jumping on the "hate bandwagon" now but how is it a "new feature" when it was working fine in all previous versions of Windows?
I mean multitasking worked pretty good back in NT4, even NT3.1 released 20 years ago?
https://www.techspot.com/article/596-windows-search-retrogression/

Exactly what I was thinking.

What I am wondering is,they say 8,1 will be released in the store,so if I never go to the store and only use windows update,does that mean I wouldn't be able to get 8,1 then?

Took a look at 8.1 and they have actually made things worse. A start menu for the desktop would have been nice.

If they really put any "finishing touches" on an RTM product, that means it is a fake RTM, that's not Ready To Manufacturing.

Sorry, but Windows 8 and 8.1 are still worse than Vista (Windows 7 SP 0) and especially worse than Windows 7(after the rename).

The search tool is fine on my end. Just used it to check. Swiped right, touched the magnifying glass, typed a search word into field set to Everywhere and results appeared in seconds, spanning the Internet and my hard drive. So many results came up I didn't know where to start.

I'm using Windows RT 8.1 Preview.

And another facepalm courtesy of Microsoft's policy. Honestly, if it wasn't for the games and general conveniences I totally would have used Linux. They're doing just fine with their own self-developed features.

Still, nice job breaking it, Microsoft. It's official, Microsoft is the embodiment of Butt Monkey, ***** Ball, and Nice Job Breaking It Hero of the technology world.

This article didn't phrase it correctly, I.e. out of context. Windows 8.1 brings enhanced multi-tasking for Metro applications, specifically, allowing them to be stacked side-by-side in full-screen mode, I.e. with a movable divider between them. The feature has no impact on desktop applications, but it is still a feature.

This article didn't phrase it correctly, I.e. out of context. Windows 8.1 brings enhanced multi-tasking for Metro applications, specifically, allowing them to be stacked side-by-side in full-screen mode, I.e. with a movable divider between them. The feature has no impact on desktop applications, but it is still a feature.
I was being ironic, it's laughable that this feature was not there from day one.

I was being ironic, it's laughable that this feature was not there from day one.

Like any radical change from the traditional, Metro UI was likely to skip on a few important features. They will get it right eventually. Although I personally use only desktop mode, I see changes in 8.1 as very welcome ones.

Good to see the decision reversed. If MS wants their app ecosystem to expand, they need devs to actually use the newest OS possible.

I find that Windows 8 search doesn't work very well. Many times I put in a search term (Explorer) and nothing happens, it just sits there. If I change from Libraries to Documents and repeat it usually works. The Metro search stinks, it's slow, locks up at times and you have to manually select Apps, Settings, Files for the results you want. I think Windows 8 Search can be improved.
Never had a lockup on search and explorer search bar will only search from the location you are at (if at root of C: it will search all of C:). As for the selecting you can pick which is showing with hotkeys Windows+Q for Apps, Windows+W for Settings and Windows+F for Files. Not all that hard to learn, is rather easy unless you are too lazy to try something different.

Never had a lockup on search and explorer search bar will only search from the location you are at (if at root of C: it will search all of C:). As for the selecting you can pick which is showing with hotkeys Windows+Q for Apps, Windows+W for Settings and Windows+F for Files. Not all that hard to learn, is rather easy unless you are too lazy to try something different.
I agree that using hotkeys is very useful but I can't help feeling that they are not intuitive to the majority. I understand why so many dislike W8.

Like any radical change from the traditional, Metro UI was likely to skip on a few important features. They will get it right eventually. Although I personally use only desktop mode, I see changes in 8.1 as very welcome ones.
Skipping core features we've had for years in the "obsolete" OS's is exactly the missing polish that they are getting smashed over. Really that is the lesson they should have learned with Vista.

Microsoft are *****s. They knew the builds would be leaked. I guess they didn't realize they would end up looking like *******es for withholding the RTM from people who need it the most. Now they look like *******es and developers still got what they wanted.

At least they realized that if you can't beat them, you can always join them. Not sure why they are being so stubborn about Windows 8. They just keep fostering the anger that is still very much alive in 50% of the Windows 7 user base by refusing to give us what we want. They have made many reversals in the past few months. There is hope for Windows 9 even if it's just a little.

I think their strategy was to make us use their metro interface because they are scare of losing again apple and google in the new mobile computing.

MS policy is not likely to change for around 12 months as it will take that time for the new management to bed in. Hopefully they may start to listen to their customers (or potential customers).

Back