Microsoft Word 2003 "Read-only" PROBLEM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so here's the story: everytime I open a document in MSWord 2003, its fine, opens and works and I can type and do whatever. The first time I save the file, it saves properly, however, if I CTRL+S again, it asks me to specify what file I want to save it as, and when I try to save it as the one I have open, it errors me, saying that the file that I have open is a read-only file. That's weird, because in the properties I can clearly see that its not read-only.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on? :confused: I un and reinstalled on my PC but the problem continues. Any help will be greatly appreciated =]

Thanks in advance.

BTW I am using XP and the in the blue bar of the open document it says "DocumentName (Read-Only)" after I try to save it for the second time.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum to post in, Im new, but I really need help because my comp has been acting weirdly these past few days.

you apparently are OPENING a R/O document.

find the document of choice,
right-click->properties

at the bottom; Attributes ... is r/o checked or unchecked?

Be sure to save your documents in your profile area:
\Documents and Settings\yourlogin\My Documents\... anywhere below this

Modify your Word Preferences to make the above the Default Directory

The documents as you said are saved in the correct directory: My Documents. However, the properties of all of the folders in My Documents say that all of them (the folders) are read-only, yet the files themselves say that they are normal and the R/O box is unchecked on them.

Isn't this interesting! I just check the properties of some subfolders and guess;
my folders are marked R/O too, BUT I can still create new docs and save into them! :confused:

My friend just called me for some assistance (I'm the most tech-y in the group). He's having a problem that seems identical. I can't even have him get into the HTML code to try to edit away the read-only. Anyone have an idea on how to crack this nut?

Why Folders are Read-Only and files are not

In Windows XP, all folders are marked as Read-Only in the attributes to prevent viruses and such from writing into that folder. You will never be able to uncheck the box for a folder to be not "Read-Only". As for opening the Word files that are Read-Only, open the file, go to: Tool/Options/Security Tab, Look to see if the "Read-Only Recommended" box is checked. That could be your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back