Microsoft Word Margins !@#%@!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lvdrew702

In Microsoft Word...

I set my page defaults to 0.7" all around. Every time I open a new word document it goes back to the original settings and I have to change it for each new doc.

Research has shown that it is a "Template" problem. However it does not always occur on all installations, which leads me to believe two things:

1.) It is yet another MS instability. (Microsoft is know for unstable software)

2.) There may be an easy fix I have not yet come across.

Please help... Any info on this would be good.

Thank you.

you may need to modify the template itself, and then save it. There is a feature about some auto-backup thing that saves an updated/modified template but i didn't read up about it..

open the template by browsing to c:\documents and settings\%username%\microsoft\office\templates\normal.dot

change whatever you want, then save like you do a normal word doc. see if that works.

Microsoft Word Margins...

Thank you very much for the info. It inspiried me to further dig and I discovered you cannot edit the "normal.dot" file in xp, (that I found),...

However if you open a new doc and set the file up exactly the way you want it, then save it as a ".dot" file... Close everything and move the original "Normal.dot" file to a temp folder. You can then name your new file "Normal.dot" and place it in the templates folder. I rebooted the computer and the next new word document opened with the settings I wanted.

Thank you again.

Most times when there is any problem with Word, I delete all the Normal.dot. You will need to show hidden files and folders:

Control Panel> Folder Options> View> 'show hidden files and folders'
Then search for normal.dot and do a right click> delete on all. Word will then create a new normal.dot template.

Cool, Thanks, I will remember that. I like to use "Ariel 11" in my documents and I got it to default to it. : )

You're welcome. Go back and hide those files again so you don't accidentally delete something! With Word, if something isn't working, always suspect normal.dot template corruption first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back