TechSpot

Microsoft working to remedy gaming-related Windows 8.1 mousing issues

By Shawn Knight
Nov 4, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. If you’re a gamer and are thinking about upgrading to Windows 8.1, you might want to keep reading before you make the jump. That’s because a number of threads on Microsoft’s Community forum detail a significant issue for Windows 8.1...

Read more

2. Or just use Windows 7 until Steam OS is out. :p

freythman likes this.
  3. MrBungle

MrBungle TS Booster Posts: 151   +64

Even if they do get this figured out -- I'm still not moving to Windows 8.x.

avoidz likes this.
  4. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,018   +912

Good to see they are fixing issues.

5. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,355   +402

No problems for me. Playing Far Cry 3 right now and mouse is doing everything it's supposed to. Still hate Windows 8 and the illustrious 8.1 upgrade. The only reason I have it is for work purposes.

6. Ranger1st

Ranger1st TS Enthusiast Posts: 268   +77

Deja vu back to the NT and 95' days...

7. cmbjive

cmbjive TS Enthusiast Posts: 530   +85

Or maybe they can just get 8.1 to not corrupt people's hard drives. Right after I upgraded to 8.1 on both my and my wife's computers our hard drives crashed. Fortunately, I have three other hard drives but the hard drive in my wife's laptop had to be replaced.

8. Chazz

Chazz TS Enthusiast Posts: 634   +60

No problems for me so far.

razer mamba @ 5600 dpi 9 Acceleration, 1000hz polling rate

League of Legends
    Civ 5
    Borderlands2 are my most played games lately.

9. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,119   +723

Reminds me of when the iPhone 4 came out and it had terrible reception during phone calls. Now Windows 8.1 has mouse issues. Both cases of new technology failing at something that has been taken for granted for years.

St1ckM4n likes this.
  10. psycros

psycros TS Booster Posts: 733   +230

Windows 8.1 (and probably 8 as well) installs something into your low level drive format that "virtualizes" your MBR - basically, its a virus that insures you can't simply restore an image of a previous OS when you realize 8.1 is no better than 8.0. The only way I've found to be rid of it is to perform a low-level drive repair. Its insidious and just another example of how Microsoft is trying to freeze out competing OS's including older versions of Windows. BTW, Windows 8.1 adds absolutely nothing that a normal PC user will care about..stick with Windows 7 until Microsoft gets desperate enough to release a real desktop OS again.

11. treeski

treeski TS Guru Posts: 880   +130

Haven't had any issues on my box.

12. pmcardle

pmcardle TS Rookie Posts: 90   +13

The big difference is MS is looking into the problem where Apple blamed the users for holding the phone wrong.

13. KapteinPyn

KapteinPyn TS Member

I am using Windows 8.1 x64. I have a Logitech G9x. No issues.

14. mctommy

mctommy TS Enthusiast Posts: 124   +14

I don't have the issue because I can't even upgrade to 8.1 on the laptop... lol.

15. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,169   +176

Didn't think Steam OS could play windows games... it's going to be a while before Steam OS is a viable replacement for a windows gaming PC...

16. cmbjive

cmbjive TS Enthusiast Posts: 530   +85

I'll keep this in mind when I work on my drives this weekend. The drive that got corrupted happens to be the drive that has all my games and my saves.

17. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,174   +761

None of this is even remotely surprising. We must remember Win 8 is designed for mobiles & touchscreens first & foremost then adapted to the desktop. There are bound to be glitches like this. If we think Win 9 or whatever will be any better than 8, we're probably in for a big disappointment. Win 7 was the last decent OS for us desktop users. Hopefully under new leadership a bit of sanity will prevail but I won't hold my breath.

18. I have not had any problems gaming in BF4 multiplayer but singleplayer was kinda jerky when aming. Just played a game of Ghosts this morning and it is terrible. It is spinning me around in all directions when the mouse is barely moved, but only when walking.

19. MSFT better fix this and soon. You want gamers to abandon your platform in droves in favor of SteamOS, keep this up....

20. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,090   +1,519

If the Steam OS pans out, MS has already lost this gamer. I'm waiting for my test drive of the Steam OS, before I make my final decisions. Ohh and my reasoning has nothing to do with this issue, my reasons predate this issue.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.