Microsoft: Xbox 360 failures "well behind us"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Microsoft has responded to the recent survey being passed around the Web. Consisting of 5,000 Consumerist readers, the controversial poll suggested that around 54% of the participants experienced at least one Xbox 360 failure - 41.2% said they had at least two go kaput.

According to Xbox Live and Xbox 360 director of product management Aaron Greenberg, while issues inundated the early 360 production lines, things have since improved. "I can tell you the consoles we're making today have lower-heat chips and better cooling, and we're seeing fantastic quality in those consoles today," Greenberg said.

He said that the early problems were acknowledged, and Microsoft responded by introducing an extended three-year warranty for anyone who is faced with the infamous Red Ring of Death or E74 error. Greenberg continued by adding that with the strides taken by Microsoft, he feels like most of the problems are well behind them.

What have your experiences been with the newer Xbox 360 models?

Permalink to story.

i've wasted money and time on two 360 consoles and got red rings on both. i just can't trust the brand and have nothing more to waste on them. ps3 has won this fight. better luck next time microsoft.

Well I found my original 360 was alot noisier, both fans and DVD drive were louder than the tv until i turned it right up. It died a couple of weeks ago after 3 years and 2 months faithful service.
The new arcade model I have is a jasper. The fans are very close to being silent - my skyplus HD box makes more noise currently. The DVD drive is a definate improvement being quieter and the half gig internal storage and hdmi are a welcome addition.
I can honestly say after 3 years and 2 months I felt like I'd recieved a good upgrade for my 135quid for the new jasper. Of course I would have prefered it to be free but I would rather have a new one than a reconditioned unit.

Still no different...RROD just the same.....my friend, the same. They (M$) are just liars... their defective consoles needs to removed from the market, redesigned...go through some thorough tests ...then released.

Selling 31mil is nothing if we cant play our consoles with a peace of mind.

My less-than-two-years-old XBox 360 Elite went two-ring (thermal check, and NOT covered by warranty service) early this summer. Looks like I'll have to buy another 360 for christmas, probably not Elite again, though I will miss my HDMI port... I was told when I bought the Elite that it was specifically redesigned to avoid RROD issues. MS Sux!

So, remember if it breaks and it is out of warranty to just give more money to MS for another one. You will at least have a 50/50 chance of getting the best console on the market.

loving my Jasper elite. Its extra quiet after installing games (something I always liked about the PS3 too) but I like more than enough of the games for 360 and there are several series I follow (admittedly, Halo is one of them). I must say I don't hate any of the consoles, I think I could easily have fun with any of them, I just prefer 360 overall. I say this because the entire web is saturated with "my console is God, yours is crap because X". At the end of the day, remember we could all be doing something more productive, like lending a hand in ts forums ; P

I'm a member of GTAF, 4ums for Rockstar Games/GTA.net. I commented there on two RRoD units I bought that I tried to repair, adjusting the heatsinks and using three different thermal pastes, the one I got some success with, about 3 weeks worth is OCZ's FREEZE, pretty good stuff. I would not advise money spent trying a repair, I got my working unit for 150 USD from local pawn shop, with a HDD for $30 in fact. Now I see reconditioned adapters at MicroCenter for $20 each! I paid almost $50 for a power BRICK!!

I bought a 360 elite about 2 years ago it died at the 14 month mark.. but to be fair I played it like there was no tommorow.. I mean I got hooked on it and I wasnt playing games that much since the ps2 days. It definatly got me back into console gaming. After it died however I decided not to buy a playstation 3 and decided to build a gaming rig that ran me about 2200.00 bucks after you include monitor and all peripherals. I got my 360 back in the mail but I havnt really touched it since mainly do to poor game selection in 2009 so far.. resident evil 5 sucked and prototype was ok but it didnt really get me. With all that said and after experiancing a real gaming machine I think consoles suck.. 30 fps.. partial v-sync.. you get screen tearing and slowdowns on games like gow2 so I will continue to play with the 360 only for exclusives like halo odst and maybe good local coop games because playing with friends over on a pc might be a bit tough with my set up. The next generation consoles hopefuly play at 60 fps.. screen tearing.. hiccups... slowdowns and rrod are not cool in my book. I highly recommend anyone who isnt familiar with pc hardware to get aquainted with it through google and try out a build for yourself its not hard at all.. especially these days. Not to mention games if optimized look awesome on a mid range to high end pc. Support pc gaming lol.

being a playstation owner since the first one was released , and my ps2 lasting 8 years , before buying my ps3 , never having a problem with any of them and then to hear from friends who bought the xbox when it first came out , one by one telling me , its got something called the red ring of death its beyond repair , this was 2 or 3 years ago , millions have got the red ring of death , you can't trust the xbox brand name , all my friends are now ps3 owners .

I don't have HD TV, (absolutely no use for Blew-ray) but, on a whim I traded my Xbox 1 in for the Halo 3 edition Xbox 360. Despite my TV's lack of uber definition the games look fantastic. And I've never had any RROD issues at all. I only wish my controllers batteries lasted longer. But they're rechargeable so, what ever. Lots of great games to play on Xbox 360, and my Wii doesn't see a whole lot of action any more. I'm a Happy Camper. Buy American! :)

You know warranties are a great thing and if you buy your consoles where they are offered (if they are not offered at all for you in your area then i feel bad for you all)

I bought my Xbox 360 at Best Buy got a RRoD just before my warranty ran out took it back and got a new one with the 2 games newer version with HDMI port ~60$ back and renewed my warranty

Honestly shelling out the extra 40$ that i did was well worth it then spending 200-400$USD to replace a console that died

Honestly I am on at least my 2nd or 3rd PS2 (since Jan 2001), don't own a PS3 yet and my Wii is running just fine

So yeah you all can argue microsoft sucks blah blah blah and what not but all in all ive heard it before but PS3 doesn't offer the games that I like to play and if you don't have the games I want then I am not interested....

Well that is my 2 cents heh

Are Xbox 360's that great that people put up with this sub-par product? I don't game but I just don't see the point in buying another...and another...etc. If something I bought broke and heard from others that they are all crappy would I buy another? Never!!! I would buy something else.

Are Xbox 360's that great that people put up with this sub-par product? I don't game but I just don't see the point in buying another...and another...etc. If something I bought broke and heard from others that they are all crappy would I buy another? Never!!! I would buy something else.

I totally agree microsoft should have a no quibble policy and exchange all red ringed consoles .

I will not bring myself to buy a 360... but I am ordering a new slim PS3 very soon :)

I've heard some real horror stories about some of my friends' 360 consoles, including many red rings of death and even some units burning halos in the disks. Of course, I still have friends that swear it's the best game console in existence but with the failure rate the way it is I want nothing to do with it. I have my 360 controller for my PC and a lot of great 360 games make great PC games too; they run better on PC anyways.

I really don't get it...why is all the Xbox 360 consoles and Xbox elite consoles are having the ring of red light after playing for some months? I bought my Xbox360 few months back, June 2009 to be precise, and the red light just flashed two days back..... i am frustrated and probably will never buy Microsoft game consoles in the future.

Doesn't Microsoft see all these? is it too hard to make a consoles that works for a little longer than just months? this will surely make Microsoft's share go way down in the market.......why isn't Microsoft doing anything about it? why are we as a customer getting ripped off?

I really don't get it...why is all the Xbox 360 consoles and Xbox elite consoles are having the ring of red light after playing for some months? I bought my Xbox360 few months back, June 2009 to be precise, and the red light just flashed two days back..... i am frustrated and probably will never buy Microsoft game consoles in the future.

Doesn't Microsoft see all these? is it too hard to make a consoles that works for a little longer than just months? this will surely make Microsoft's share go way down in the market.......why isn't Microsoft doing anything about it? why are we as a customer getting ripped off?

You buy this new or used? because if you bought it you then what can you expect from a used console that you have no idea what has been done to it

People need to learn to buy warranties if they are available in your area

I've never heard of getting a RRoD after a few months unless your letting it overheat and using it constantly. Was almost 2 years before i got my first RRoD and i use my 360 constantly

i had the e-74 error after 14 months , to be fair to MS it was collected , repaired and back to me within 7 days which is impressive . Break downs aside its a great console , there's just far more great games on the xbox than the PS3. I have the luxury of my flat mate owning a PS3 so i get to play both and i think they are both good .

I have a friend who's on his fourth or fifth 360 now. One time he got an xbox back and it RRoD less than a couple weeks later. Personally, I'd be fed up.
Making better quality consoles now doesn't make up the 54% of past console failures, frustration, time and money spent.
For my friend's sanity and health I PRAY his next xbox doesn't die on him.

I have a friend who's on his fourth or fifth 360 now. One time he got an xbox back and it RRoD less than a couple weeks later. Personally, I'd be fed up. And making better quality consoles now doesn't make up the 54% of past console failures, frustration, time and money spent.
For my friend's sanity and health I PRAY his next xbox doesn't die on him.

Anything with over a 25% failure rating is pretty bad... 54% is just sickening. That's basically having a 50/50 chance of your $300 game console going belly up. It's also like saying "well it might sh** the bed or it might not... but it probably will." PS3>360 any day.

hello...
i once had the choice between a PS3 & an Xbox360, had both in hands & even took a picture of that great moment. I ended buying a Big 20Gb PS3, in the beginning i was sad because even if there were some great exclusive titles (True Exclusives!), i didn't have enough money to get them all, while i saw a lot of my friends buying & modding their xboxes :( (i don't do into piracy!) ... well then they were nagging me about my choice.
but being in the hardware field part-time i had so many xbox360 in for check-out, so i got to play some games ;) yet something was wrong, why so many console IN. @ first i thought because they were modded, yet it came out that NO. they i said to myself, like some other monitor brand that keeps coming it, it must be about the % of sales. the more you sell, the more to expect to fail @ some moment.
when i figured out later that most of the time, the same person who had one dead console would turn up with another unfortunate one that i started to see things differently. i was happy i made my choice!
it's not about the game, i'm sorry but i challenge anyone to find 10 great "TRUE EXCLUSIVE" titles for the Xbox360 in less than 20 seconds (being fair here) ... & by TRUE EXCLUSIVE, i mean not shared with the PC! & not to mention that Multi-platform games look better on one system or another, totally FALSE !!!
Xbox360 has so many great games (on my envy list as a PCist / PS3 Owner) but as most are shared with the PC, i'm happy with it (I'm waiting for Splinter cell conviction / Mass Effect 2, maybe Gears of War 2 (but not really my type so don't know))
PS3 has a 10% failure rate, i just hope i never fall into the unfortunate stats ;)
& Nowadays with a price cut-down (the ONLY drawback SONY had before ...!!!) & a huge library of TRUE EXCLUSIVE along some shared with PC, i think this one is going where it should be.
It's just a matter of taste, you like Halo - go for Xbox, you want God of War, no choice it's the PS3. if you like Multis or some MS Exclusives, the best combo is a PS3 + PC ;)
I just hope newer consoles are more stable, for if i get more money, i may consider get an Xbox360 too. for now, i'm sorry for those who had a PS3 with YLOD or Xbox360 with RROD, just hope the manufacturing companies have enough consideration about their customers, for i would go nuts if my PS3 would die on me while playing Uncharted 2 & worst if it would damage my future Heavy rain disc ;)
cheers!

I bought a 360 when they first came out. When the Elite came out, since I have a 52" tv, I bought it to gain the HDMI output and gave my old one to a friend. I also bought my brother a Pro last Christmas. All 3 units are still running fine with no issues, at least, so far. I've been extremely happy with my experiences with the 360 consoles. I may buy a PS3 slim to use as a blu-ray player but I really hate Sony products. My PSP was one of the biggest waste of money ever. And I hate the PS controllers and their cramp inducing size. If I could get a PS3 with Xbox controllers, that would be perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back