Microsoft's $25 Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows is now available

Scorpus

Staff member

Microsoft's Major Nelson has finally announced that the Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows is now shipping to retailers. The dongle is available as a standalone product for $25, or bundled with an Xbox One wireless controller for $80.

The Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows allows PC gamers to use an Xbox One wireless controller with their PC. When plugged in and synced with a controller, the dongle appears to games as a standard gamepad, allowing you to play like you're using an Xbox One.

A single dongle can sync with up to eight wireless controllers, and either four chat headsets or two stereo headsets. The dongle only works with Windows 10, however, so gamers using older operating systems are out of luck. Microsoft might release drivers for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1, but it seems unlikely considering the company's focus on Windows 10.

At this stage the Wireless Adapter is only "shipping to retailers", but it should be available to purchase very shortly worldwide for those that want to use an Xbox One controller with their PC.

Permalink to story.

So let me get this right:

1) It's 25 bucks. As much as some off brand controllers, half as much as the new Steam controller that already includes both the USB dongle and get this: THE CONTROLLER
2) It's exclusive to Windows 10: Because of course we must move everyone to windows 10 at the expense of their privacy and consent since **** you: you don't need to know what this update does.

Great to see MS hard at work at supporting (A.K.A. screwing) PC Gamers.

I wonder if they'll make it compatible with Steam Stream? Since it's already compatible with the Wired version, I wonder if it even needs a different driver?

Back