TechSpot

Microsoft's $25 Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows is now available

By Scorpus
Oct 21, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft's Major Nelson has finally announced that the Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows is now shipping to retailers. The dongle is available as a standalone product for $25, or bundled with an Xbox One wireless controller for $80.

The Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows allows PC gamers to use an Xbox One wireless controller with their PC. When plugged in and synced with a controller, the dongle appears to games as a standard gamepad, allowing you to play like you're using an Xbox One.

A single dongle can sync with up to eight wireless controllers, and either four chat headsets or two stereo headsets. The dongle only works with Windows 10, however, so gamers using older operating systems are out of luck. Microsoft might release drivers for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1, but it seems unlikely considering the company's focus on Windows 10.

At this stage the Wireless Adapter is only "shipping to retailers", but it should be available to purchase very shortly worldwide for those that want to use an Xbox One controller with their PC.

Permalink to story.

2. Dimitriid

Dimitriid TS Booster Posts: 34   +37

So let me get this right:

1) It's 25 bucks. As much as some off brand controllers, half as much as the new Steam controller that already includes both the USB dongle and get this: THE CONTROLLER
    2) It's exclusive to Windows 10: Because of course we must move everyone to windows 10 at the expense of their privacy and consent since **** you: you don't need to know what this update does.

Great to see MS hard at work at supporting (A.K.A. screwing) PC Gamers.

3. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,920   +687

I wonder if they'll make it compatible with Steam Stream? Since it's already compatible with the Wired version, I wonder if it even needs a different driver?

4. Mieksr

Mieksr TS Enthusiast Posts: 38   +7

I wonder if this will my Razer Atrox One fightstick finally work with my Win10 PC.

5. Seventh Reign

Seventh Reign TS Booster Posts: 131   +65

It works just fine with Windows 7, 8 and 8.1.

Soepkip and ikesmasher like this.
  6. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,518   +506

What's the big difference between this and the 360??

7. EEatGDL

EEatGDL TS Maniac Posts: 481   +159

For me it basically comes down to the low-profile battery compartment. Then come the sticks and triggers.

8. tian1229

tian1229 TS Rookie

Any one who got this?Did it work on your Win10 PC?I got one in my hand, but I couldn't find any driver for this

9. Soepkip

Soepkip TS Rookie

Are you sure? Can you provide any indication of it working on W7?