TechSpot

Microsoft's August Windows update pulled following 'Blue Screen of Death' reports

1. Just a few days after Microsoft rolled out its latest Windows update, the company has pulled it, and is recommending users to uninstall it. The move comes after there were reports that the update caused the infamous Blue Screen of...

Read more

2. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,389   +329

Huh would have expected them to push that fix to windows 9....

3. Cycloid Torus

Cycloid Torus TS Evangelist Posts: 1,657   +309

4. I installed all the updates from this past Patch Tuesday (August Update) and have not had any problems at all. I wonder what percentage of updated systems were affected?

5. misor

misor TS Evangelist Posts: 1,163   +197

I only updated this morning (local time Philippines). am I safe? no BSOD on my windows 8.1 machines yet (intel core i3-530, intel g630).

6. hopgop1

hopgop1 TS Booster Posts: 165   +31

I (think) I was affected, Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium

7. Experimentongod

Experimentongod TS Addict Posts: 226   +85

I installed the update on Windows 7 x64 as soon as it was available and haven't detected any problems so far. I'm not going to bother uninstalling.

8. Yes, it did not affect everyone. And yes, why would you follow Microsoft's recommendation to uninstall it.

9. ddg4005

ddg4005 TS Guru Posts: 362   +49

I've installed the update on both my boxes. No problems so far.

10. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,891   +1,258

My father's Win7 64-bit machine (P45/E8400) blue screened prompting a reinstall of the OS.

11. This is why I turn automatic updates OFF.
    I decide what to update and when.

12. bnjohanson

bnjohanson TS Enthusiast Posts: 32   +10

1) The last Update in question illustrated in the article is inaccurate; let it read: " KB- 2975331 " ;

2) Anyone that has not yet experienced the negative effects of these flawed updates are wrong in believing, let alone stating, "you're fine, so keep them". EVERYONE remains vulnerable as long as these Updates remain installed and have a very likely chance to experience their wrath in the future.

THE BOTTOM LINE IS THIS: UNINSTALL THESE UPDATES REGARDLESS OF YOUR PERCEIVED SAFETY TO THEM....PERIOD !

13. bnjohanson

One more thing: It appears this issue only affects WIN 7 & 8 x64. x32 is unaffected.

14. bnjohanson

...and FINALLY: these Updates have since been cancelled by MS, so upon your Uninstall, they will not appear for recommended installation again upon your seeking for updates.

15. gspbeetle

gspbeetle TS Rookie

Dont have to reinstall windows.
    You can just delete fntcache.dat in c:\windows\system32

cd /d c:\windows\system32
    del fntcache.dat

16. dividebyzero

Well that solves everything!
    Now...how does he access the OS partition when the OS won't load even in safe mode, and he doesn't have another computer with which to access the drive?

17. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,550   +2,894

So automated updates is once again being known as an Automated BSOD!

I'm glad I have my automated updates turned off, and will never know if I would have been effected.

18. I would like to know the answer to that as well, because my OS won't boot at all and it's going to be a hassle for me to find someone to let me use their tower to access my drive.

19. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,550   +2,894

If you have an optical drive, a Linux Boot Disk may help.

20. dividebyzero

If you already had a Linux Boot Disk handy you mean?
    Downloading the iso and burning a bootable disc might be problematic if your only computer refuses to load the OS.

Cool if you did so beforehand, but if you're that well prepared then you'd likely have a backup OS image stored somewhere anyway (external/internal HDD, USB stick etc.).

21. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Evangelist Posts: 1,309   +56

That's what ballmer gets for buying the clippers. Why didn't he mind his own business? The owner can't do whet he wants with his own money in a democracy. Someone should tell the government how to spend their $100 trillion debt. With municipal debt it's probably closer to a quadrillion.

22. gspbeetle

gspbeetle TS Rookie

Not many people would back up their OS, but chances the windows installation disk may provide the recovery option to access command prompt.

If you lost the disk, then yes, you may have to ask a friend to download the Windows 7 install/boot disk or a Linux live image (let say, Fedora) for you.

23. dividebyzero

In this case the recovery option failed. It was the first thing I suggested to my father since his Win7 retail package was to hand.