TechSpot

Microsoft's cross-platform smartwatch tipped for October release

1. Almost a month after it was reported that Microsoft is planning to offer a sensor-rich smartwatch that measures heart rate, a few more details have emerged about the wearable device. Tom's Hardware reports that the device will have 11 sensors, open...

Read more

2. Teko03

Teko03 TS Maniac Posts: 317   +115

This could be a win for Microsoft --- assuming it has attractive features and is priced below the Android & iOS alternatives. Why buy a "3rd party" Smart Watch if its no cheaper than first party design. Because let's face it, 9 times out of 10 the first party design will offer more functionality than a third party. Esspecially when it comes to Google supporting Microsoft's platform & software. So be smart this go around Microsoft.

3. RustyTech

RustyTech TS Guru Posts: 865   +434

The only way this will be a real "win" is if this wristband/smartwatch can fully function independently from smartphones. What I mean by this is that all info that's critical can be displayed on the band itself - otherwise, just another gimmick, imo.

4. yukka

yukka TechSpot Paladin Posts: 830   +54

Been wearing a watch for years and I don't have it positioned on the underneath of my wrist. Hope its optional to wear it that way. Be interested in how this works out anyway.

5. CliveS

CliveS TS Rookie

I was bitten by the Gear 2/Neo from Samsung - after watching the launch Apps. Like the hardware, but only one of the Apps shown at the launch show is available - and it doesn't work!

Samsung now announce that they are releasing another watch with a different (Android Wear) OS. We are being taken for mugs.

As a 7yr Apple user now moving back over to Microsoft, I hope this device will be better. But I won't be buying another 1st gen gadget for a while.

6. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Very excited for this. MS has a real good chance to show off something neat. Let's hope they execute it right.

7. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,492   +2,044

Bah! I'll wait for the dust to settle and smartwatches to have gone through a few generations then I'll take a gander at what the fuss is all about.