Microsoft's Kinect is being used to guard the border between North and South Korea

Justin Kahn

While many hardcore gamers wait on a practical use for Microsoft's Kinect sensor beyond the odd gesture and navigation based voice command, the South Korean government has found a way to put the gaming sensors to use. Along with the personnel guarding the Korean Demilitarized Zone (DMZ), the military is using Kinect sensors to monitor movement at the border between the North and South, according to reports.

Much like you are probably imagining, the sensors have been modded to be able to track movement at the border and then relay that data to nearby outposts. Software developed by South Korean programmer Jae Kwan Ko allows Kinect to determine the difference between animals and humans trying to cross the DMZ. According to reports it was put in place in August of last year, but it was just recently that we found out Kinect sensors were being used at the most heavily armed border on the planet.

While Ko has said that he's "never even thought of a game system performing national defense tasks," now that it is in place, he said there are future plans to upgrade the system further. Ko says that in time, the system will be able to detect heat patterns and heart rates as well.

Beyond that, likely due to national security issues, details from the Korean military have been thin.

(Image via Shutterstock)

Permalink to story.

Im sorry but while this is cool and a cool use of the system its also kinda funny in its own respect. The kinect has really good facial recognition and its a decent body and movement detection system in general. I could see something similar getting used to detect people all around (Something like Skynet :p).

Its all about one system, one system for your gaming, TV, and Movie needs. Oh and also this thing doubles as a security system protecting the borders. One device to rule them all :p

At this point, I don't know why they are even using human guards. Just put a Kinect unit in charge of the gate and it will slam shut each and every time someone motions to let them cross. Hell, that would be such as effective mechanism, we should deploy them along our own borders!

I just hope it doesn't "RED RING" on them. All hell may broke lose!!!!

At this point, I don't know why they are even using human guards. Just put a Kinect unit in charge of the gate and it will slam shut each and every time someone motions to let them cross. Hell, that would be such as effective mechanism, we should deploy them along our own borders!
because humans can be directed to look more closely or look the other way, be bribed to let someone pass, and humans are more intelligent than machines?

Back