Microsoft's Kinect is being used to guard the border between North and South Korea

By Justin Kahn
Feb 4, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. While many hardcore gamers wait on a practical use for Microsoft's Kinect sensor beyond the odd gesture and navigation based voice command, the South Korean government has found a way to put the gaming sensors to use. Along with the...

Read more
  2. GhostRyder

GhostRyder TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,158   +506

Im sorry but while this is cool and a cool use of the system its also kinda funny in its own respect. The kinect has really good facial recognition and its a decent body and movement detection system in general. I could see something similar getting used to detect people all around (Something like Skynet :p).

Its all about one system, one system for your gaming, TV, and Movie needs. Oh and also this thing doubles as a security system protecting the borders. One device to rule them all :p
  3. davislane1

davislane1 TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,246   +458

At this point, I don't know why they are even using human guards. Just put a Kinect unit in charge of the gate and it will slam shut each and every time someone motions to let them cross. Hell, that would be such as effective mechanism, we should deploy them along our own borders!
  4. treetops

treetops TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,658   +57

Still waiting on motion sensor unmanned machine gun turrets.
    spectrenad likes this.
  5. I just hope it doesn't "RED RING" on them. All hell may broke lose!!!!
  6. m4a4

m4a4 TechSpot Addict Posts: 515   +137

That was pretty bad. Kinect ≠ Xbox 360.......
  7. IAMTHESTIG

IAMTHESTIG TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 389   +35

Am I the only one laughing hysterically at this?
  8. davislane1

davislane1 TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,246   +458

*listens*

Yep.
    misor likes this.
  9. misor

misor TechSpot Addict Posts: 985   +147

because humans can be directed to look more closely or look the other way, be bribed to let someone pass, and humans are more intelligent than machines?
  10. Emexrulsier

Emexrulsier TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 205   +6

So if I dress up as a tiger I have no issues crossing the border :D
    misor likes this.
  11. TS-56336

TS-56336 TechSpot Booster Posts: 571   +98

Lets hope the alerts don't require Gold membership.
    Skidmarksdeluxe and spectrenad like this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.