Microsoft's latest 'Scroogled' ad uses Pawn Stars to attack Google's Chromebook

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Microsoft’s plan to ramp up holiday marketing efforts this year is certainly evident in their latest Scroogled campaign. In it, Redmond has teamed up with the gang from the hit History Channel reality show Pawn Stars to bash the search giant’s Chrome OS-based Chromebook.

The clip follows the typical Pawn Stars scenario where a customer brings in a product to sell for some quick cash. This time, said customer is attempting to hock a Chromebook but the Pawn Stars staff proceeds to tell her why it is worth next to nothing and why it isn’t a real notebook.

Make of the message what you will but it is a rather funny attempt in the often cut throat world of advertising.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

Oh yes, because we all know M$ would NEVER screw you...btw the script was terrible and the acting sucked too. Not saying Google is exactly a role model Corp. either.

While I get the point of the ad I wish companies would actually focus on what THEY have to offer as opposed to directing their efforts at bashing others.

You're absolutely right. It almost reminds me of political ads.

I laughed anyway...

I gotta admit it made me smile. Don't these pawn clowns make enough money from The History Channel (I don't know why they call themselves that because the next time they show anything to do with history will be the first time) without having to take handouts from MS as well.

While I get the point of the ad I wish companies would actually focus on what THEY have to offer as opposed to directing their efforts at bashing others.

I wholeheartedly agree with you. I have a personal guideline (that is also a business practice my company uses) that I avoid products that resort to negative selling their competition to try to get my money. And when I'm asked why I chose another product, I flat out tell them it's their negative marketing that pushed me away.

I'm not sure I would take a pawnshop's opinion of value as useful seeing as their goal is not to give you what its worth but what they believe its worth to them seeing as plan on making money off it if you don't come back for it and the reality is Chromebooks are not the only things that are considered low value at pawnshops. Try selling your Xbox 360 to see if they even give you $40 for it.

I thought it was clever. And it was a much better attempt at laughing at a competitor than MS's ad where the Surface makes the iPad (who sounds like Siri) all embarrassed. At least this ad was truthful.

I'm not going to rip MS for making an ad put down the competition. I've seen far too many 'Hi, I'm a Mac, and I'm a PC.' commercials.

The girl is cute! But it's hard to imagine someone young in 21st century needing such a bizarre explanation about "built-in applications like Office and iTunes"... What do you mean, built-in? Built into what? The Operating System? Office is never built in, it costs extra. I never saw a laptop that would come with a "built-in" Office. And why a home user needs Office anyway? It's for... well, the office. And a laptop in the office? And with "built-in iTunes"? I mean, I get the point, but they'd better give the mike to a computer expert, not some bloke with lousy acting skills who has to read his lines off a monitor. Sorry, I'm not from US so I've no idea who this infamous figure is.

This makes absolutely no sense at all. The Chrome book isnt even close to a competitor with anything M$ sells. Its like comparing a Dodge Dart with a Lamborghini.

Its like comparing a Dodge Dart with a Lamborghini
That's exactly the point they were aiming for. Why would you want to own a Dodge Dart when you can own a Lamborghini? Especially if said Lamborghini is in a similar price range, slightly more expensive, but that's beside the point.

I misread the title of the article and 'Debbi does Microsoft' and 'Emmanuel 8.1' came to mind!

For me, the best part of the ad was when Jean Claude van Damme did the split between two Surfaces going backwards. Classy.

I thought it was clever. And it was a much better attempt at laughing at a competitor than MS's ad where the Surface makes the iPad (who sounds like Siri) all embarrassed. At least this ad was truthful.

I'm not going to rip MS for making an ad put down the competition. I've seen far too many 'Hi, I'm a Mac, and I'm a PC.' commercials.
Right ON! Apple deserves everything it gets from M$ in the way of negative advertising, after the "I'm a PC", siege of abuse.

I even like the, "embarrassed Siri", spots, because I look at it as "retribution", or "payback in kind", for the "I'm a PC" slander-fest! (Which I think M$ should have sued about).

They got rid of the, "desk dancing douches", so that makes it OK in my book.

I'm still NOT buying anything with Windows 8 point whichever, but the ads are entertaining as hell.....:)

I haven't caught the new, "pawn ads". What's the girl's name, "Mona" ?.....(wait for it)......:p

You know I not going to watch pawn stars anymore if they really are that stupid send me the chrome book in 10 min I will have a standalone notebook. because they are used to bending over and taking a antivirus enema they forgot there is an alternative. Chromium OS. This is why I do not go into pawn shops.
FU pawn stars.

Back