Microsoft's new Universal Mobile Keyboard works with Windows as well as iOS and Android devices

Himanshu Arora

Microsoft has unveiled a new keyboard that's compatible with iPhones, iPads, Android devices, and Windows tablets -- but not Windows Phone smartphones. Dubbed Universal Mobile Keyboard, the device will be available in October for an estimated retail price of $79.95.

microsoft universal mobile keyboard windows ios android keyboard mouse xbox one controller

The keyboard can be paired with up to three devices running different operating systems, and there's a button that allows you to switch between the devices. It also offers platform-specific keys, including the Android Home button, OS X's Command key, and Windows' Control key.

The new keyboard has a protective, detachable cover that also doubles as a stand for your smartphone or tablet. Microsoft says that users can type more than double the words per minute they’d normally type using the device’s own on-screen keyboard. Closing the cover shuts the device off.

microsoft universal mobile keyboard windows ios android keyboard mouse xbox one controller

The keyboard is compatible with Apple iOS v6+, Android 4+, Windows 8+, and Windows RT devices, and uses Bluetooth to connect to the various tablets and phones it supports. The reason the keyboard isn't compatible with Windows Phone is that the OS doesn't support the Bluetooth Human Interface Device (HID) keyboard protocol.

In terms of battery life, Microsoft claims that the device will last for around six months on a single charge. The Universal Mobile Keyboard is launching first in the US and Canada, and is expected to arrive in other markets “soon”.

Aside from the keyboard, Microsoft also revealed a new Xbox One controller and cable for Windows and two new mice: Wireless Mobile Mouse 3500 Limited Edition ($29.95) and Arc Touch Bluetooth Mouse ($69.95).

Permalink to story.

Not supporting their own phone OS kinda makes the term "universal" a misnomer, but more importantly the fact that Windows Phone OS can't handle HID protocol for keyboards is kind of silly...

Oh, and NOW they release the Arc mouse for bluetooth which is a rebranded Arc Mouse Surface Edition... not that it matters since I already bought the former (for cheaper).

Not supporting their own phone OS kinda makes the term "universal" a misnomer, but more importantly the fact that Windows Phone OS can't handle HID protocol for keyboards is kind of silly...

Oh, and NOW they release the Arc mouse for bluetooth which is a rebranded Arc Mouse Surface Edition... not that it matters since I already bought the former (for cheaper).

So the whole idea to come in here and post is to *****... well done sir.

On the other hand I find this interesting, the whole control 3 devices with a switch and 6 months battery life on a single charge is trully handy, the price tag is not something excesive, if they pair it with their own bluetooth dongle for those who don't have bluetooth in their computers it could be easily used to type things and switch to your phone to reply to that whatsapp or whatnot.

I would definitely buy one of these.

Nice keyboard! It's only one color, why couldn't they do that for Win8/9? A bit expensive in my opinion, but that is just MS being MS.

Nice keyboard! It's only one color, why couldn't they do that for Win8/9? A bit expensive in my opinion, but that is just MS being MS.

I don't know you but at least I've owned microsoft mouse and keyboards I end up switching just because there are newer things with more functionality or better ergonomics, so far everything I've tried it's been of excelent quality and some have lasted a very long time.

So briefly, I would pay that for a microsoft keyboard I know will last a long time.

My first reaction to such things - what languages?

I'm always buying keyboards directly from Logitech, with English + Russian keys, which they always have. Will this one have that? If not, then it is dead to me.

I haven't seen any improvements in keyboards ever since Logitech K800 - one truly great keyboard.

So the whole idea to come in here and post is to *****... well done sir.

On the other hand I find this interesting, the whole control 3 devices with a switch and 6 months battery life on a single charge is trully handy, the price tag is not something excesive, if they pair it with their own bluetooth dongle for those who don't have bluetooth in their computers it could be easily used to type things and switch to your phone to reply to that whatsapp or whatnot.

I would definitely buy one of these.

He posted a completely valid critique and you replied with laughable knee-jerk fanboyism. Pathetic.

Yep it is definitely disappointing but windows phone doesn't support Bluetooth HID but rumors claim it will be added in Update 2.

He posted a completely valid critique and you replied with laughable knee-jerk fanboyism. Pathetic.

Oh I'm sorry I find in Microsoft keyboards and mouse quality long-lasting products, yes it must be I'm a fanboy! I'm pathetic!!

And although it might have been valid critique as you say, if it handles Windows, Android and iPhones systems for me at least that is more than universal enough.

Wow! M$ reintroduces the laptop! how cool is that?
Having a lightweight small gadget that can turn into a "laptop", frankly to me that is awesome.

Here's a novel idea. Create a docking station and hook up what ever keyboard, mouse and monitor. have one at home and at work, so you can just plug in your phone and start working.

Here's a novel idea. Create a docking station and hook up what ever keyboard, mouse and monitor. have one at home and at work, so you can just plug in your phone and start working.

What if I want to work on the coffee shop? Or maybe I travel a bit more and need to access it at the airport? How about if I have to do some light work on a collegues house?

Back