Microsoft's Office 2016 preview now available to all Windows users

Shawn Knight

Staff member

microsoft office public preview microsoft windows office preview office suite windows 10 office 2016 office 2016 public preview

Microsoft is inviting Windows users to try out a public beta build of its Office 2016 productivity suite.

This is the second preview build of Office 2016; the first was released back in March although it was only available to developers and IT professionals. The new build is being offered to Windows 7, 8 and 10 desktop, notebook and tablet users – both those with and without an Office 365 subscription. Mac users have also been able to test drive Office 2016 for a few weeks now.

microsoft office public preview microsoft windows office preview office suite windows 10 office 2016 office 2016 public preview

As ZDNet points out, you’ll need to first uninstall Office 2013 in order to use the new preview as the two can’t run side-by-side. The publication further notes that Microsoft plans to update the public preview on a regular basis both before and after its commercial debut.

Microsoft says Office 2016 has been designed for the modern workplace with smart tools for individuals, teams and businesses. For example, you’ll be able to easily attach files from OneDrive within Outlook and have access to real-time co-authoring and Tell Me, the new search tool for Excel, PowerPoint and Word.

Office 2016 is still on pace for a fall launch meaning it won’t arrive alongside Windows 10 this summer. Last month, AMD CEO Lisa Su accidentally revealed that Microsoft’s new operating system would be launching at the end of July.

Download the new Office 2016 preview for Windows here. Mac users can download here instead.

Permalink to story.

"Microsoft plans to update the public preview on a regular basis both before and after its commercial debut."
Does this mean we'll get even more 'preview build 23479.234.2blabla' microsoft spam in technology news?
Seems like they're getting really desperate for attention, are they finally becoming irrelevant?

Do people still buy office? can't believe they can still milk that thing.

They always tell us how "new and improved" the latest product is, but frankly I have found most to be completely lack luster with minimal upgrades at an excessive cost. I simply haven't seen enough of an improvement to lead me away from my old 2007 version .... or was it 2003? Hmmmmmm .......

I sincerely hop with this version they give back the option to modify screen/theme colours. I still have issues trying to deal with the eyestrain from soooooo much white on the screen. I believe it to be a massive WHS issue. I have always adjusted windows and other software to remove vast expanses of white replaced by a soft green (or it could be grey - I am colourblind) which I find is much easier on the eyes for long periods. It was something that had always been there until, inexplicably, they took it away and I just don't know why they would do that, there is just no valid reason to take it away. I suppose next they will remove colour choices from windows and that will be the end of it all. They do actually give you a choice of about 3 shades of light grey which are so light they are pointless. Hell, they could give me 50 shades of grey and it would still suck.

The fact you are brushing off MSFT as irrelevant tells the world you have no idea what is happening right now with Microsoft's resurgence. They have a very well thought out strategy that is being executed brilliantly to date under Nadella.

Take some time to read the tech press and see if you can discern their strategy.

Back