TechSpot

Microsoft's vision of the 'smart home' from 1999 was stunningly accurate

By Shawn Knight
Jun 5, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Back in 1999, Microsoft released a promotional video detailing its vision of a futuristic "smart home." Clips from the past like these are usually good for some laughs as the predictions presented typically prove to be way off the mark...

Read more

2. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,087   +747

And that was 15 years ago. My house hasn't changed much in that time and I don't think it'll be changing all that much in the next 15 other than the odd lick of paint here and there. I'm quite happy with the way things are.

3. Teko03

Teko03 TS Enthusiast Posts: 121   +27

Amazing how Microsoft had all of the ideas and didn't push any of this to consumers. Microsoft Research is the most innovative waste of money ever.

4. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,003   +1,503

Did you guys see how big that girls iPhone was? lol

5. Mr WW

Mr WW TS Member

The problem was that they couldn't get the basic TCP/IP protocol good working on Win98.
    So simple communication between devices always dropped. :)

6. gamoniac

gamoniac TS Enthusiast Posts: 221   +47

I feeeeeeeeeel the positive energy from TechSpot readers! Woooooooeeeeee~~~ What to do with it?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.