TechSpot

Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor video showcases Nemesis system

By Russ Boswell
Jan 23, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. There are a lot of Middle Earth fans out there who may be turned off by the prospect of warping or changing the lore that has made the Lord of the Rings universe such a smash success. But Monolith and...

Read more

2. GeforcerFX

GeforcerFX TS Evangelist Posts: 494   +126

Well that looks freakin amazing, can't wait

Wendig0 and CorvusCorax like this.
  3. mikeusru

mikeusru TS Rookie Posts: 48

"Combat and movement appear to be a mixture of the Batman Arkham series and Dishonored."

Lol seriously? This is practically an Assassin's Creed 4 DLC... It they clearly licensed the engine. Same environmental structure (recognize those double ropes he walks on?), same movement and aerial assassinations, even eagle vision is there.

That being said it does look quite good, if you're into assassin's creed gameplay and tolkein stuff.

4. m4a4

m4a4 TS Guru Posts: 752   +273

Looks like a LoTR game that I might actually beat (and more than once). Been a long time since a quality game in this fantasy world was made...

wastedkill and Wendig0 like this.
  5. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,560   +2,900

Seems a bit too complicated for me. Maybe I'm over estimating the game play complication.

6. Joshw

Joshw TS Rookie Posts: 17   +8

"But Monolith and publisher WB Games are working close with Tolkien himself to breath life into a new LOTR game that's unlike any other"

Maybe I'm being stupid but isn't Tolkien dead?

7. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,560   +2,900

Wiki says J.R.R. Tolkien died in 1973.
    Since you mention it, wonder what they could have meant by that statement?

8. Timonius

Timonius TS Evangelist Posts: 640   +56

Perhaps they meant his son, Christopher Tolkien? Or someone else in the Tolkien family that oversees the IP?

9. dennis777

dennis777 TS Enthusiast Posts: 285   +33

Also Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver concept :p

soul reaver fans should atleast recognize the ff:
    return from dead with new powers
    switching between dimensions
    hybrid protagonist

10. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,392   +329

This looks freaking amazing!!!! I cant wait to play it specially on a 1440P 120Hz monitor xD

11. DanUK

DanUK TS Booster Posts: 211   +9

This looks brilliant.

12. havok585

havok585 TS Booster Posts: 121   +19

I bet u went to youtube, saw some *****s say the same **** comparing AC with this, but in truth this has elements from Prince of Persia (AC copied from PoP series long time ago) now cut the crap please.

13. yukka

yukka TechSpot Paladin Posts: 831   +54

Ive played assassins creed 1/2/brotherhood/revelations and 3. Thats Assassins creed reskinned. I love LOTR and I will play it but don't be under any illusions. That Alpha footage has assets stripped right out of AC2 just as one of the guys who worked on AC2 has said today. Eagle Vision and Wraith thing is the same. Ill probably play this but I hope they make it harder than the AC games are. They are waaaay too easy.

14. cmbjive

cmbjive TS Booster Posts: 777   +137

This is Assassins Creed in Middle Earth. That's not a bad thing, but I agree with Yukka: After awhile, the Assassins Creed games become too easy. Hopefully Mordor will be harder. I like Monolith games (especially the first Condemned game), so I'll probably pick it up regardless.

15. You're talking a 4 year span between the two (2003 & 2007) and the engine definitely replicates that of AC. Elements being similar, and the game play being 90% the same asides from the visuals are two completely different things. Calm down pal.

16. Rasta211

Rasta211 TS Booster Posts: 209   +30

Great concept. Thanks for sharing.

17. Misagt

Misagt TS Booster Posts: 100   +43

Very cool, I'm very excited to see games based on more then simply graphics I like this idea and looking forward to seeing come to life.

18. Ugh, just terrible. Tolkien is rolling in his grave. Crapping all over his lore with this one. Nice going Warner Brothers and Saul Zaentz Company.