Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor video showcases Nemesis system

Russ Boswell

There are a lot of Middle Earth fans out there who may be turned off by the prospect of warping or changing the lore that has made the Lord of the Rings universe such a smash success, but Monolith and publisher WB Games are working hard to breath new life into a new LOTR game that's unlike any other. Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor follows a new addition to the fantasy world, Talion, a Ranger of Gondor tasked to guard over Mordor's Black Gate.

The storyline in Shadow of Mordor takes place historically between the events of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. During this time, Sauron and his Black Captains return to lay waste to their enemies, slaughtering anyone in their path. Talion is kept from entering the afterlife by a mysterious spirit, which then turns the hero into a half human half wraith hybrid. This kind of creature has never existed in Tolkien's universe and it seems like the type of character that's custom tailored to become a video game protagonist. 

A new video gives us a glimpse at the combat structure, as well as the Nemesis system, which is perhaps the most interesting part of the upcoming title. Enemies within Shadow of Mordor are intelligent and come equipped with a fight or flight mentality. Units that manage to escape Talion's grasp won't simply forget about the encounter. They are capable of building armies, remembering combat details, and can hold a serious grudge.

The trailer above follows Talion as he attempts to deal with an Uruk captain named Ratbag. Talion has already had a previous encounter with Ratbag, making the mission and impending battle a much more personal experience. Ratbag has been promoted to a slaver thanks to his heroic defense against Talion, and our hero must stop him from trafficking and imprisoning humans.

This game is shaping up to be a very interesting and ambitious project. Combat and movement appear to be a mixture of the Batman Arkham series and Dishonored. Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is due to release on Xbox 360, PS3, Xbox One, PS4, and PC, sometime this year.

Permalink to story.

"Combat and movement appear to be a mixture of the Batman Arkham series and Dishonored."

Lol seriously? This is practically an Assassin's Creed 4 DLC... It they clearly licensed the engine. Same environmental structure (recognize those double ropes he walks on?), same movement and aerial assassinations, even eagle vision is there.

That being said it does look quite good, if you're into assassin's creed gameplay and tolkein stuff.

"But Monolith and publisher WB Games are working close with Tolkien himself to breath life into a new LOTR game that's unlike any other"

Maybe I'm being stupid but isn't Tolkien dead?

Wiki says J.R.R. Tolkien died in 1973.
John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, CBE (/ˈtɒlkiːn/;[a] 3 January 1892 – 2 September 1973) was an English writer, poet, philologist, and university professor, best known as the author of the classic high fantasy works The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, and The Silmarillion.
Since you mention it, wonder what they could have meant by that statement?

Perhaps they meant his son, Christopher Tolkien? Or someone else in the Tolkien family that oversees the IP?

Also Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver concept :p

soul reaver fans should atleast recognize the ff:
return from dead with new powers
switching between dimensions
hybrid protagonist

"Combat and movement appear to be a mixture of the Batman Arkham series and Dishonored."

Lol seriously? This is practically an Assassin's Creed 4 DLC... It they clearly licensed the engine. Same environmental structure (recognize those double ropes he walks on?), same movement and aerial assassinations, even eagle vision is there.

That being said it does look quite good, if you're into assassin's creed gameplay and tolkein stuff.

I bet u went to youtube, saw some *****s say the same **** comparing AC with this, but in truth this has elements from Prince of Persia (AC copied from PoP series long time ago) now cut the crap please.

Ive played assassins creed 1/2/brotherhood/revelations and 3. Thats Assassins creed reskinned. I love LOTR and I will play it but don't be under any illusions. That Alpha footage has assets stripped right out of AC2 just as one of the guys who worked on AC2 has said today. Eagle Vision and Wraith thing is the same. Ill probably play this but I hope they make it harder than the AC games are. They are waaaay too easy.

This is Assassins Creed in Middle Earth. That's not a bad thing, but I agree with Yukka: After awhile, the Assassins Creed games become too easy. Hopefully Mordor will be harder. I like Monolith games (especially the first Condemned game), so I'll probably pick it up regardless.

322939.jpg

havok585 said:

I bet u went to youtube, saw some ****** say the same **** comparing AC with this, but in truth this has elements from Prince of Persia (AC copied from PoP series long time ago) now cut the crap please.

You're talking a 4 year span between the two (2003 & 2007) and the engine definitely replicates that of AC. Elements being similar, and the game play being 90% the same asides from the visuals are two completely different things. Calm down pal.

Very cool, I'm very excited to see games based on more then simply graphics I like this idea and looking forward to seeing come to life.

Ugh, just terrible. Tolkien is rolling in his grave. Crapping all over his lore with this one. Nice going Warner Brothers and Saul Zaentz Company.

Back