Millions of PCs incapacitated by Symantec

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DelJo63

Millions of Chinese PCs running Symantec Corp. antivirus software have been
incapacitated by a faulty virus signature distributed last week, government media reported Sunday.

two files -- netapi32.dll and lsasrv.dll -- were falsely quarantined, which in turn crippled
Windows. If an affected PC was rebooted, Windows failed on start-up and showed only a blue screen.

The gory details are found at Computerworld.com

lol. I'm just glad I'm using freeware and not that Symantec Crap.
Just wondering if they would have to pay compensation to businesses...

Momok =)

Its to bad the general public trust them with the important task of safe guarding their PC.

I would expect the Chinese to switch from Symantec in droves. If not, why not? If any antivirus program did that to me regardless of the brand, I wouldn't give them a second chance anytime soon.

I feel sorry for all the folks who`s computers have been crashed by Symantec/Norton crapware. This is just another reason not to install that substandard, resource hogging, computer crashing crap.

Regards Howard :)

I didn't mean the ones who use them because it's pre-installed. I mean the ones who actually install it manually and tell other people to do so as well. I've met quite a few of those. :)

Fortunately, I quit using the Norton Antivirus and Firewall since they are memory - and resource - hogging my system.

I only use the Systemworks on my win98SE on my computer.

Thank god for NOD32.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back