Mini ARM-powered Utilite PC available to order starting at $99

Justin Kahn

Specialized embedded computing company Compulabs has now made it's mini-PC Utilite available to order. The $99 system boasts a Freescale I.MX6 processor within a small 5.3" x 3.9" x 0.8" footprint.

Along with a host of connectivity options, the Utilite is designed to run either Android or Ubuntu Linux. While the Utilite's ARM Cortex-A9 processor isn't overly powerful, its low cost of entry, functionality and small form factor do make it a viable option.

arm-powered utilite Compulabs is offering up three different options, with single, dual and quad core configurations. The $99 option has a single core ARM Cortex-A9 processor, 512Mb of RAM, 8GB of microSD storage as well as HDMI and Gigabit Ethernet connectivity.

Next up is the $159 Utilite Standard which comes with a dual core as well as 2GB of RAM and 8GB of microSD storage. It also brings additional connectivity with DVI, HDMI and two Ethernet ports instead of one.

The Pro model will run you $219, comes with a quad core and a 32GB SSD in place of the microSD. Beyond that, the Pro option appears to have the same specs as the Standard configuration.

arm-powered utilite

Unfortunately, the wait times on orders look to be severely backed up (or just delayed). There is a 6 to 7 week wait time depending on which model you choose. So it's looking like these won't ship until sometime in mid-November.

Permalink to story.

It looks appealing but IMO a midranged smartphone or tablet can easily replace this.

I received my Utilite pro 3 weeks ago, it came with Ubuntu Linux 12.04 pre installed on SSD. It is the perfect replacement for my old laptop in the living room. I connected a wireless keyboard and mouse
and was possible to use the Internet without doing any manual configuration. So it is really a plug in and play device.

Back