Mini-Dump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey folks,

Been playing an online game for a few weeks now and have gotten a mini-dump error. It shut off too fast for me to be able to read anything on the blue screen, but I did manage to get the information from the dump file:

Microsoft (R) Windows Debugger Version 6.6.0003.5
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Loading Dump File [C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini042206-01.dmp]
Mini Kernel Dump File: Only registers and stack trace are available

Symbol search path is: *** Invalid ***
* Symbol loading may be unreliable without a symbol search path. *
* Use .symfix to have the debugger choose a symbol path. *
* After setting your symbol path, use .reload to refresh symbol locations. *
Executable search path is:
* Symbols can not be loaded because symbol path is not initialized. *
* The Symbol Path can be set by: *
* using the _NT_SYMBOL_PATH environment variable. *
* using the -y <symbol_path> argument when starting the debugger. *
* using .sympath and .sympath+ *
Unable to load image ntoskrnl.exe, Win32 error 2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ntoskrnl.exe
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for ntoskrnl.exe
Windows XP Kernel Version 2600 (Service Pack 2) UP Free x86 compatible
Product: WinNt, suite: TerminalServer SingleUserTS
Kernel base = 0x804d7000 PsLoadedModuleList = 0x805531a0
Debug session time: Sat Apr 22 21:12:39.781 2006 (GMT-4)
System Uptime: 0 days 2:55:46.351
* Symbols can not be loaded because symbol path is not initialized. *
* The Symbol Path can be set by: *
* using the _NT_SYMBOL_PATH environment variable. *
* using the -y <symbol_path> argument when starting the debugger. *
* using .sympath and .sympath+ *
Unable to load image ntoskrnl.exe, Win32 error 2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ntoskrnl.exe
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for ntoskrnl.exe
Loading Kernel Symbols
...................................................................................................................
Loading User Symbols
Loading unloaded module list
* Bugcheck Analysis *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 1000000A, {d79fbeb0, 2, 1, 804ff1c3}

***** Kernel symbols are WRONG. Please fix symbols to do analysis.

Probably caused by : ntoskrnl.exe ( nt+281c3 )

Followup: MachineOwner

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, this and everything that I've tried researching is either above my head or I'm just too ignorant to understand. Irregardless, I've got this issue and it needs to be resolved.

I have no updated my system, other than the auto updates for Windows as well as Norton. So, in assuming that something was done, probably by Norton, I did a complete format, not a big deal. I put XP Pro back on, did a few updates, tried to install the drivers I jsut downloaded for my ATI video card and was told I needed to .NET. So, I did the Windows update, got those numerous ones and restarted. Played the game for about 2 hours and then boom. Blue screen. It rebooted before I could get any other information from the blue screen. Prior to formatting, it would leave the blue screen up until I manually restarted. It was DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and the 0's and X's afterwards were different from what I have in this report above.

It's really aggrivating and frustrating that I can't even play a simple game on the internet. As I stated, I've done nothing different and have been playing this same game the same way with the same settings to both the game and the pc for about a month and a half now, give or take, and never had this problem before.

Any thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Go HERE and follow the instructions.

If that doesn`t help. Zip 5 or 6 of your latest minidumps together and attach them here.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Will do. I'm at work so I'll have to do this in the morning since nothing can be done without creating a boot disk for both the hard drive test and the memtest.

Since I can't do anything now, I'll try to get educated on the matter by asking some general questions about the problems and get your thoughts.

1. Would it be possible that this is a memory problem? If nothing new was added, wouldn't that indicate that something has basically 'gone bad'? Since the system was formatted and a fresh install was conducted and the mem dumps continue, wouldn't that indicate something hardware related?

2. I'm not sure what the error of "Kernel symbols are WRONG". What symbols is the message talking about?

3. If it is a file that's corrupt, then why would it also be corrupt after a fresh install?

4. Would it be possible to replace the file with a good one from another computer or would that cause more problems?

I realize that some of these questions' answers are going to be dependant upon the results of further checking which will be done in the morning. I'm just wanting to tap into the experience knowledge base on what, typically, the cause could be when it comes to this file and the symbols not being valid.

1. Would it be possible that this is a memory problem? If nothing new was added, wouldn't that indicate that something has basically 'gone bad'? Since the system was formatted and a fresh install was conducted and the mem dumps continue, wouldn't that indicate something hardware related?

Yes. It is possible you have a ram problem, but it could also be caused by other hardware, or software.

2. I'm not sure what the error of "Kernel symbols are WRONG". What symbols is the message talking about?

The kernel symbols are a set of debugging routines that analyze the minidump. The correct path for the kernel symbols is SRV*c:\symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols

3. If it is a file that's corrupt, then why would it also be corrupt after a fresh install?

It`s hard to say if file corruption is the problem at this stage.

4. Would it be possible to replace the file with a good one from another computer or would that cause more problems?

That would depend entirely on the file concerned.

If you would like to read your own minidumps. Take a look at this short tutorial HERE.

Regards Howard :)

I believe that I found the problem. I ran MemTest later that day (I was at work when I posted this)...

Both sticks - failed...system shut off.

Stick #1 in slot #1 - 3 minutes, failed, shut off.

Stick #2 in slot #1 - 57 minutes, failed, shut off.

On a hunch, I checked the temps...my processor was running at 208°F. Hmm...not sure why my alarm didn't down on it. Paid attention to the fan and sure enough, it was barely moving in comparison to what it's suppose to be doing. I'm tired of fans. I picked up a water coolant system by ThermalTake. I did some hardcore gaming for about 3 hours and then checked the temps...116°F.

There doesn't appear to be any damage done to the processor itself, at least as of yet nothing is apparent. Time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back