Mini DVD

Ania22

Hi guys,

I have a recorded video on a mini DVD. I don't have the Sony camcorder to play or edit it. I have Dell inspiron laptop. When I insert the disc, it produce some noise but does not play the disc.

Can anyone guide me how to play it or may be copy the video form the disc?

Thanks !

Have you played the DVD mini disc before?
Do you know if it has been finalised ?, because it must be, before you can play it on a different DVD player/PC. If it still an 'open' disc, you will have to finalise it on the camera that recorded it in the first place, or one like it.
Then you may be able to play it on a pc. If Windows media player won't play it, download the free program VLC player.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply. The video has never been played. It was shot by my friend, who just gave me the DVD and has moved to another country. In other words, I have no access to the camcorder. Moreover, when I insert the disc in my laptop, it does not get started, when I right click it for checking the properties, it shows nothing. I took it to the photographer, they said they will charge 50 dollars for just running it. I am not sure if there is a video in it or it is just empty. I do not want to pay if there is nothing in it. I will download VLC player and see if it runs.

Once again thanks !

Your best way out of this, I think, is to find/borrow/beg a camcorder of the same make as the disc was recorded on, doesn't need to be exact model, and use it to view and finalise it, if anything on there.
With the dvd in the pc drive, if you right click and explore/open, there should be 2 folders, named possibly 'Video TS' and 'Video RM'. You should be able to see those files even if you can't play them. The 'properties' box may well show an empty dvd, but that could be false because it only means Windows can't read it.
Of course it could be an empty dvd.
If there is any data recorded on it, it is possible to see that, if you know what to look for. See 2 photos I have uploaded, it's of two 8cm mini DVD's, one recorded on, one unused. Notice the thin silver band around the extreme edge, on the used DVD. Hope they help.

Attachments

• mini_DVD_photo.jpg
    mini_DVD_photo.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Mini_dvd_closeup.jpg
    Mini_dvd_closeup.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 5
@ Rabbit, thanks a lot, it worked !
@ Mike, thanks for attaching the pictures, they were really helpful. I would have gone for borrowing a camcorder, the last option.

Once again thank you guys, you are awesome, I got my graduation ceremony video :)

Back