Minidump errors/Automatic restarts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been having an issue with my computer randomly rebooting and giving me minidump errors as a reason. I found a post (techspot.com/vb/all/windows/t-96793-Minidump-errors-causing-restarts(dot)html) and followed these instructions I found there:
1. Full Check Disk on your drive
2. Do a full Defrag of your drive
3. Is this drive NTFS ? (if not type: CONVERT C: /FS:NTFS at the command line)
4. Running Memtest on your Ram
5. Also MS has addressed this error and solution HERE (support.microsoft dotcom/kb/816047)

So I got to step 4, ran memtest86 for 3+hours with zero problems, and I'll bet this is going to sound lame, but since I ran memtest I can't get past my POST screen when trying to boot my pc. Can anyone help me figure out where to go from here? I would greatly appreciate it!

Running XP Pro

Edit: Before I followed the above steps, I updated my video driver, ran CCleaner and Auslogics defrag as well as spy scans.

Believe it or not, 3+hours on MemTest is usually too short. The recommendation is a minimum of 7 passes.

Anyway, are you able to boot into safe mode?

Try running with one stick of memory.

I cannot boot into safe mode, so here I am for now: I have removed all except 1 stick of memory and I am running MemTest on that 1 stick that has been in the A1 memory slot. When I run that for at least 7 passes, I'll do it again for each of the other 2 sticks then let you know where that puts me. Lol...I'll post in a few days :)

Ok, all memory has ran a minimum of 20 passes and all is good. Still can't boot past POST, even with everything unplugged except HDD, memory, video & keyboard. Does this look like time for an attempt at Windows repair? Every time I've done that in the past I've lost everything :(

Hmm, do you have onboard audio or do you have an audio card? If the former, try updating the chipset drivers. if the later what is the make and model and have you updated the drivers for that card?

Will your PC post with the items plugged in that you mentioned?

I don't know how I missed this detail, but in BIOS my master HDD access was set to large, I changed it to auto and it works fine.

Thanks for you help with my fickle computer, I appreciate it!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back