Minimum chip, mb for 64bit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Row1

Hello-
I plan to build a 2nd comp for home. I want to do this really budget, but I want it to be ready for 64bit windows.

What is the lowest cost processor family/socket I can build this around?

Also, for a very basic mb to go with that processor,what would be good? It would be fine for this 2nd computer to have just onboard video and sound to keep the cost down. I plan to get 3-4 years of use from this, and I figure win64bit will be out by then.

budget = under 500

These are some great suggestions. My main comp (see my profile) is nice, but this 2nd one will not be so hot.

Actually, the 2600mhx processor mentioned is faster than my computer at work, which runs really well.

I am definitely gonna go for 1gb ram: windows just doesn't run well otherwise.

my budget goal for the main stuff looks like this so far:
$60 processor
$60 mb
$80 ram
$50 hd
$20 cd

I will look for a power supply depending upon mb.

That has me at about $300 so far. I have a dvd writer on my main comp, so I don't need one on the 2nd comp.

So far, the plans look pretty good for a 2nd comp for a few years. After a while, I will decide to build a really good comp, and will demote my current comp to be the 2nd comp.

Any other ideas, please add on to the thread!

no intense gaming...

at my home, no one does intense gaming. so, I get to keep costs down by going cheap on the video.

If I put this together with a mb that has onboard video, then it seems slow because of the video, I will go an figure out a vid card.

Row1 said:
at my home, no one does intense gaming. so, I get to keep costs down by going cheap on the video.

If I put this together with a mb that has onboard video, then it seems slow because of the video, I will go an figure out a vid card.

Non gaming you say? what you use the box for? hmph... cheapskate ^^

Here some sug?

Nvidia = GFx5200 128MB MX4000 128MB or GFX5500 128mb... >< I cant seem find my favourite card... GF Ti 4600/4800.. that card is best on OC i ever tried.. i pushed it further at 25% faster :)

anyway back to point... ATI = Radeon 9550 128MB, Radeon 9250 128mb, or Radeon 9200SE 128mb

I guess that all for now... if you want the TV tuner card... my recommendation is ATI HDTV Wonder... be warned... this card is little expensive, but i cant seem find any old All in wonder (older than 9600 families)

i'm gonna try P4

i got a good deal on a gently used p4 2.26, so i am gonna build a comp around that, and worry about the 64bit issue later.

i think i will go with a new mb because of all of the things that can go wrong with a mb. but i may use an old hd or two, and use an old but decent agp vid card.

i have a case/powmax 400w power supply already that was $20 plus shipping from geeks.com.

so i will hunt for a mb for this p4 -- i will take suggestions if anyone has them...

64bit CPU ey? i just did an assignment containing all of the available 64 bit cpu's from intel+AMD.. here they are and there prices(australian dollar):

AMD Socket 754:

AMD Sempron 2800+,$143.00
AMD Sempron 3000+,$161.70
AMD Sempron 3300+,$198.00
AMD Athlon64 3000+,$247.50

AMD Socket 939:

AMD Athlon64 3200+ Venice,$264.00

im guessing yor price range is no higher than that?

and i cant seem to find my intel prices....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back