Missing/corrupt file help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevee10001

Hi i am in need of help asap i might even send £10 or equiv in $ if my laptop gets back to working order.

I have a dell inspirion 1501 and i had to replace the hard drive recently once i had got it plugged in and connected to internet (which took a bit of time) i went to download the windows updates and by doing so it told me to restart. when it restarted i got an error message saying this file was missing or corrupt windows root sytem32 ntoskrnl.exe
Now i have searched for a thread like this and found one (https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic74955.html)
but the i got to the command he told me to enter and it said it could not find it.

I would desperatly like some help on this as it is getting really frustrating now. plus i refuse to pay the extortionate price the dell people would make me pay to help (out of warranty). So feel free post but just beware that i am an absolute novice at this so if the advice came simplyfied would be great.
many thanks steve

You have to reload your operating system. Do you have your original OEM Operating System CD that came with the system?

If so, put the OS CD in the CD drive and boot from it and go through to the second repair option. The first option that comes up to do a repair is the recovery console. Press Enter when you get here. If when it gets past that, you have the optioni to repair your existing load, do that, if not, you will have to load a new copy. If you have data you want to save, you will have to pulll the drive out, hook it to a USB port on another computer (you can purchase a connector) and copy the files you want to save.

Tracy

Hi i am in need of help asap i might even send £10 or equiv in $ if my laptop gets back to working order.
All support members at TechSpot work voluntarily.

If not, send me an email through the forums and I will help.
Tracy
All support is freely given on the public forums
1. Because it's free!
2. So as others with similar issues, can find the answer when searching for similar issues.
3. To stop members benefiting (money wise) through providing this support

If you want to pay, go to a Computer tech shop
If you want to make money, go and run a shop

@stevee10001 I have removed 4 of your posts
Saying things like: "pppppppppppppppppp"
This type of posting is against TechSpot's Guidelines
You are hereby given an official warning, that subsequent posting this way, will result in your possible Ban

Please read how to post correctly at TechSpot, here:

TechSpot Community & Posting Guidelines
Guide to Making a Good Post/Thread
How to post a new thread

sorry about the money thing i was just trying to get more eyes on my post as i guessed it would just be part of the background in know time1 also sorry about random posts just did it to get the link in!

But the member has already got a Windows disc ? :confused:

yes i have a windows disk

Put the Windows Disc in
Start (boot) your computer from it
It goes through a few loading of hardwares and drivers
Eventually you say setup Windows

Now there's a part that says Repair or use the existing Partition
At this stage you want to remove the Partition (L to remove and all that) Just read the screen
Once the Partition is removed, continue installing Windows
Do not manually create a Partition, do not manually format.
Just continue installing Windows, after you remove the Partition

At last Windows will be installed (there are some questions along the way)
Then you need to find all your drivers
And activate
And then update to the latest Service Pack

You can reply at that point :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back