TechSpot

missing decktop files/folders in windows xp

By Tommy Hughes
Jun 28, 2007
  1. HI my windows xp dexktop and tool bar vanished.
    i would like to know if they have been deleted or are they still on the hard drive.
    i have set up my hard drive as a slave but can't see the missing decktop files and folders?

ANy idears???

2. es84

es84 TS Rookie Posts: 48

hi ,
    Try this ,
    First press CTRL + SHIFT + ESC , this will open the task manager , there click on the processes tab and end task Explorer.exe
    Then click on FILE AND New task , there enter -> explorer.exe
    Then check if it gets the icons and the start bar back , the issue is either with explorer.exe being corrupt or that some thing stopping it from loading properly . incase you dont get icons , then go to safe mode - F8 when you start the computer and then choose Safe mode and log on to your account and not the admin . there check if you get icons , incase yu have icons in safe mode , try rebooting once and check if the icons are there in normal mode, incase they dont appear this time
    Then reboot in safe mode and do a system restore . You can open most of the things using the task manager and new task option

3. N3051M

N3051M TS Evangelist Posts: 2,115

Desktop files and folder is kept under C:\Documents and Settings\User\Desktop where user is the account/login name its under (or your name)

Oh yeh. Welcome to Techspot :wave:

4. almcneil

almcneil TS Guru Posts: 1,277

Classic spyware symptom!

Use the following 3 anti-spyware utils:

• Ad-Aware 2007
    • Spybot Search & Destroy
    • AVG Anti-Spyware

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.