Missing files!!!!!! HEEELPP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone!! I'm new in here, and not a english speaker, so sorry for my bad english sometimes...

Here's what just happened to me, and makes me want to punch some walls (litterally..):
I always used Windows Media Player 10, for audio and movies, but I just get some audio files with the extension "m4a", wich I searched to know what these were, and then discovered that the Real Player could read them. Then I downloaded the Real Player 10, and installed, all fine 'till now... In the instalation, when it was asking if Real Player would be the standard program to run the audio and video files, I choose "no", and when I had to choose the files that it would open, I did'n selected neither mp3 or mpeg, or anyone of this kind (actually I didn't selected anyone).
After the instalation is completed, I run the "m4a" files, and it was alright, they played without any problems. I stopped the execution of the files, and moved these files from the folder they were, and putted with the others audio files, and all of them were still there... then I cosed the Windows Explorer and the Real Player.
But when I opened the Windows Explorer again, I realized that ALMOST MY ENTIRE FOLDER OF USELESS LITTLE THINGS (like all my mp3, videos, movies, pictures, texts, and all sort of things) HAVE JUST DISAPPEARED!!!!! This folder now just shows 1 video and some mp3, that were apparently configured to play in Real Player (when their icon is of the RP, not the Windows Media Player)!!!! I then uninstalled the Real Player, and these files becomes to execute directly in the Media Player, without any problems... but all my other files are gone!!!!!!!
I'm thinking thats it's extremely weird because I'm not talking about a few MegaBytes... I'm talking about 75 GigaBytes of files!!!!!! They can't just dissapeared like this, in a blink and without any warning, can they?!?!?!?!

I wanna know if they are somehow still in my pc, but can't be accesed or recognized, and if it's possible to recover them...... or if I really have lost them!!!!!! (nooooooooo..........)
After all, it's accusing that I have all that 75Gb free in my hard disk.....

And I wanna know if the real Player is that complicated and bad to the system, 'cause thats what I'm thinking of it right now...

Sorry if the text is too long.... but I'm really desperate!!!!

Tanks for any help or explanations!!!!!!

Make sure you are looking in the right folder. If they aren';t there like you say, In Windows Explorer, click TOOLS>FOLDER OPTIONS, the VIEW tab and select SHOW HIDDEN FILES AND FOLDERS. If that fails, try doing a search on your computer such as *.mp3 to see if you can find where your mp3's are. I totally doubt all 75gb of data is gone from your machine, i mean you would hear the hard drive going crazy for a little while if 75gb of data got deleted.

I tried all this things before ask for help... Didn't find anything in any drive...
Thats why I was desperate...
And I doubt too that they dissapeared in a blink, without any noise!!!
Thats so nonsense.....

Go into Media Player, or Real player, and try to load a MP3 from the folder where you stored them in, see if you can see them that way.

Nope, nothing..... I'm thinking that they are really gone...
My pc isn't finding them anywhere
Could they be missing, but able to be somehow recovered? I'm not that expert with computers...

I still doubt they are gone, but so far it's not looking to good. Only other thing I can suggest is do a system restore (if your running XP) to before you installed Real Player.

Go to Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore

Pick a date before you installed Real Player, it might actually say when you click on a particular date something about a restore point before you installed Real Player, so be on the look out for that also.

Were those files in a folder on the same partition, or in a separate partition?
If on the same partition, you should stop immediately and switch your PC off.
Any activity will over-write some of your (currently disappeared) files.
Take the HD out and put it as Slave in another PC.
Then use programs like Mediarecover from http://mediarecover.com or
DirectorySnoop from http://www.briggsoft.com to see what can be recovered.

You probably downloaded yourself a beaut of a Virus or Trojan, courtesy of Realplayer.

The Recover didn't worked... and I tried even to recover since the beginnign of the last month...

And this folder thats disappeared were in a different partition that the one I installed the real Player (I installed it in the drive C:, and use the drive D: to files...
And It's kinda hard to me to put my HD as a slave in other pc, 'cause here in Brazil the SATA system is starting now, and my pc is the only one of everyone I know in my city that is SATA, which can't be conneceted directly in a ATA system, right?

Same problem

I've got the same problem - about 10Gb of mp3's ahve apprently disappeared from my music directory.

HOWEVER - if I open windows media player (v10.00.00.3646), they are all there and are all still playable, I just can't see them in explorer.
I've tried searching the drive for *.mp3, scandisk, going into dos to look for them. I'm set to view hidden files.
They're obviously still there, as I can listen to them, but I can't transfer them to my MP3 player.

Does anyone have any clues?

:hotouch:

wtloild said:
I've got the same problem - about 10Gb of mp3's ahve apprently disappeared from my music directory.

HOWEVER - if I open windows media player (v10.00.00.3646), they are all there and are all still playable, I just can't see them in explorer.
I've tried searching the drive for *.mp3, scandisk, going into dos to look for them. I'm set to view hidden files.
They're obviously still there, as I can listen to them, but I can't transfer them to my MP3 player.

Does anyone have any clues?

:hotouch:

I'm having the same problem, except the files can't be read in Media Player 10. I'm also set to view hidden files, but can't find them at all. Has anyone solved this? :confused: please help!

missing files

I'm having exactly the same problem and have tried many things with no success.

If anyone has corrected this problem PLEASE tell the rest of us!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back