Missing Local User folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

sd_muma

Since yesterday my Outlook 2007 does not work. My Local User folder is gone, along with everything behind it. That means My Documents. Yes, I have backups.

Am running XP Pro with Office 2007 on a Dell Inspiron E1705. Have restored from Saturday, no luck. Reinstalled Office, no luck. Am using AVG Pro. Have I been hit by a worm or trojan?

We have a wireless encrypted home network. My computer has stayed home...no traveling in months.

Please help!:(

My anti virus, Spybot, and AdAware all are clean. Have not done Hijack This. Guess I will need to! Is it possible for someone to actually remove my Local User and all after it?

Have you by any chance removed one of the user accounts? Could not see a reference in the log but then I am looking for something that isn't there.....

No, I removed nothing. The only thing I did prior to this happening is allow Windows to "clean up" my desktop. And I then restored that in my attempt to go back to a clean time.

Luckily I have copies of My Documents, etc. on memory stick.

Sorry if this is a bit basic, but is this just the shortcut that has disappeared?
If you look in Windows Explorer (hold the windows/start key and press E) can you see a link there, or perhaps browse to your named document folder in Documents and Settings?

Has it been hidden perhaps? Check settings in windows explorer > menu item >folder options > view > "show hidden files and folders" - check the tick box.
One other trick is to use the explorer search tool for a file you know is in the missing folder, set it to seek for hidden files and search for it.

Missing/hidden

No, they are not hidden, as the first thing I did was change the properties, etc. But I did go to system information, and discovered the following changes. This is beyond my understanding, so I am relying on you techs to help me out here.

I've attached the NFO.

Attachments

• system NFO.txt
    4.3 KB · Views: 5
I'll be interested in hearing from Momok and Howard_Hopkinso on this one. The damage you describe is reported here. I want to learn why they took place.

What part to you think the AVG had in this? Interesting that the effect has been to remove the user account but there seems to be no clue as to why it happened - just a log showing the results.
sd_muma - can you see the files if you start in safe mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back