Missing memory in Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

buffdaddy110

I need a little help trying to diagnose my daughters computer problem while I'm deployed to Afghanistan. She just recently has windows 7 home premium 64 bit installed. It's been working great for over a month now, but yesterday she said she tried to install a game and she got an error saying she doesn't have enough memory. I had her bring up the system box in control panel, and it showed her score of 5.2 but next to memory installed it was empty. now we know memory is installed because she's able to use the computer. I know for a fact there's 2 GB of memory. I'm sure it's just a windows thing, but I'm unfamiliar with windows 7. Please help with any ideas as to what I can have her look at.

We would have to know a lot more about the brand and model, and the sytem board.
Assuming she has a 64 bit version of Windows, the memory still may have to be in identical pairs... 64 bit is a bit more difficult on which to comment without more information.

here's the system, a little dated but still good.

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+
Motherboard: MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra
Video card: MSI Radeon X1900XT 512MB
Power Supply: Thermaltake Purepower 600W ATX12V
Memory- OCZ Platinum (2 x 1GB) DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit

what i don't get is why did she install the 64 bit edition when she only has 2 gigs of ram unless shes going to upgrade to 4 gigs. next time you talk to her, tell her to open the task manager to see how much ram is there and how much of it being used. it would be on the performance tab under physical memory. the total and available memory is what we need

the IT guy at the university my wife works at had her buy this edition, it was only $29.00 through the college. If it were me picking I'd tell her to get the 64 bit version as well, and yes I will be adding more when I get home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back