Missing NTLDR press ctrl + alt + del

Status
Not open for further replies.
My pc was built for me. I has two hardrives, one for storage and the other running xpp, one cdrom, one dvd drive and a floppy drive. I now get the message NTLDR missing. I can only get as far as BIOS and no where else. I have tried changing the boot sequence. No luck. I copied the NTLDR, ntdetect and boot.ini to a floppy, inserted the all legitimate OS prepared to reformat and still nothing. I get absolutely no where. I am now in the process of checking everthing inside the tower, systematically unplugging each drive to see if that makes a difference. Most of everything I have tried has been suggestions from the internet. If anyone has any advice I would certainly be greatful.
Thanks in advance
LastResort

Your copy of windows is all bitter and twisted - not likely to be a hardware problem - and likely to be more than just NTLDR.
Restart the PC and boot from the windows XP install CD.
Ignore the first offer to repair and opt for install windows. Follow the wizard until you get to the next offer to repair - take that one and it will replace all the critical windows XP files for you. Much quicker than trying to this manually and unless you have a bad hard drive it will not damage your data files or trash your settings and drivers. You may have to re-activate windows.

Thanks for the suggestion. Neither of the two rom drives will read anything past checking status so I can't even reinstall.
Last Resort

1st thing is make sure that the cd-rom to showing up in the bios.
This did happen to me in the past. And I hope you are setting down for this... I had to format the HD. My problem was that I only had a xp sp2 upgrade CD and it wouldn't load and re-install because it can't detect the xp on the HD, if that makes sense. BUT.. I had a old E-machine XP restore disk, and after formating HD, i could install the restore disk now it showed NTLDR missing but the upgrade cd detected the new/old xp i had just install (again i hope this is making sense) Hopefully u won't have to go that far... Good luck

are u sure sure the mother board is not dieing? I just recently had a MB die and the first thing I noticed was the DVD had stopped and have not tried it again, but think it still is working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back