Missing Operating System

Status
Not open for further replies.

VoodooHellfire

I am in need of help again. While I can usually troubleshoot almost any problem, there have been a few that have thrown me for a loop, and this is one of them.

Yesterday Microsoft released a number of updates for Windows Vista. I am running Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit. Only 3 of the updates installed, although I couldn't tell you which ones. The system prompted me to restart and upon restart I get "missing operating system". I can't get to the boot selection screen to even try safe mode. I tried booting off of the DVD and doing a repair, only to find that my hard drive can't be found, or at least not the Windows installation on it. It's a SATA drive and the drive letter is able to be found when I tell it to look for drivers, although it says the file format is wrong. Microsoft tried to tell me it could be a bad hard drive. Yeah, could be, but it happened at the exact moment I restarted after installing their update. My thought is that it's a corrupted boot sector or boot loader. Any ideas, possible fixes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back