TechSpot

Missing Operating System

By VoodooHellfire
Aug 13, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I am in need of help again. While I can usually troubleshoot almost any problem, there have been a few that have thrown me for a loop, and this is one of them.

Yesterday Microsoft released a number of updates for Windows Vista. I am running Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit. Only 3 of the updates installed, although I couldn't tell you which ones. The system prompted me to restart and upon restart I get "missing operating system". I can't get to the boot selection screen to even try safe mode. I tried booting off of the DVD and doing a repair, only to find that my hard drive can't be found, or at least not the Windows installation on it. It's a SATA drive and the drive letter is able to be found when I tell it to look for drivers, although it says the file format is wrong. Microsoft tried to tell me it could be a bad hard drive. Yeah, could be, but it happened at the exact moment I restarted after installing their update. My thought is that it's a corrupted boot sector or boot loader. Any ideas, possible fixes?
  2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.