Missing or Corrupt c:\$mft --WinXP

Status
Not open for further replies.

TotalMojo

As the subject says, I've recently become another victim of the missing or corrupted c:\$mft message. MY problem with trying to follow the tips I've found via google searches is their reliance upon a boot/repair disk to run chkdsk and what not.... as I have no such disk, and all attempts at creating one via downloaded applications have met with failure.

As one might suspect, It's a 2 year old Dell Laptop (9300)... and no such disk ever came with it.

Any help or suggestion would be wonderful, the XP disk I had access to two months ago when I had a cornel failure is back in California with it's owner (and I sadly now live in Michigan, where I as of yet know no one who still runs XP!)

CHKDSK can be accessed by:

my computer -> right click on c drive -> tools -> CHKDSK

another useful tool is CCcleaner registry repair. Download it and use the registry repair tool.

re:

I get no response from any of the Tools in the properties window. Clicking the buttons does absolutely nothing.

Tried to run chkdsk through CMD and via the it's root exe in the sys32 folder~ brings up:

CHKDSK.EXE Bad Image

Application or DLL c:\windows\system32\ifutil.dll is not a valid windows image. Please check this against your installation disk.

---

I then tried to hop onto the internet, to check out those links provided~ apparently IE is down now as well (I'm now posting from my wifes iBook since my own laptop is being dumb). Goes straight into Error Reporting for Microsoft (which works fine, but never tells me what the actual error there is)... attempts to just open up explorer and accessing the internet results in a message telling me that explorer cannot find "null".

Well, I was unable to run that exe either.

HOWEVER, for some reason today when I booted up the laptop in question~ it somehow loaded CHKDSK on it's own. It ran, and ran, and ran. Three hours later it rebooted and everything is working awesome now. I've no idea why.

So, while I have no idea what caused the problem~ A week later my computer has healed itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back