missing or corrupt display.sys

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolkapers

ive recently had a problem when starting up my computer. while booting up there was a problem with the registry, So i put in the win me boot disc and run scanreg. this fixed the problem and i can now using windows without a problem. BUT when i start up i get an error message saying someting similar to:
missing or corrupt display.sys in C:\windows\system
Cannot set the code page(s) in Display.sys

windows continues to load and work as normal but this error worries me. should it?

thanks in advance

You are/were using Windows 9x and your config.sys/autoexec.bat files load some national language support drivers for DOS.

If you are using Windows 2k/XP or live in an english speaking country or don't use DOS programs then you can just comment out the relevant lines in config.sys and autoexec.bat if you are bothered by the error message. It doesn't hurt anything if you just leave it be.

Display.sys is loaded in config.sys. Open the file with notepad and put "rem " in front of the line that loads display.sys (looks sth like device=c:\windows\system\display.sys..." You will probably get a load of other error messages once you have omitted the display.sys loading. If you don't need DOS support for things, you can try renaming your config.sys and autoexec.bat files so nothing gets loaded at all.

You can also post the contents of the files here and we'll tell you what to remove/change.

i think i can put up with it if the only alernat is getting more errors :p if there are anyquick fixes like making a fake file(name a file display.sys) or creating a new one let me know otherwise i quess ill put up with it. thanks for the help

You can correct the display.sys parameters in the config.sys or try removing/renaming config.sys and autoexec.bat completely - Windows will survive that just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back