Missing or corrupt files

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am new to this tread and am not very computer knowledgeable. So anyone wishing to help please speak slowly. I have an older Dell which came with Widows XP, I still have the reinstall disk. The computer is a second one. When I turn it on the Dell screen comes up then the screen goes blank and then it says <windows root>\system32\NTOSKRNL.exe is missing or corrupt. If I tun it on and hold F8 down I get a message: keyboard failure, strike the f1 key to continue, f2 to run setup utility. Striking either key does nothing. If I turn the computer on and hit the f8 key about every second I get Windows Advance Options. I have tried to use most of the options and on each one it continues to where it lists Windows XP Home Edition, where I hit enter. Every time I get the missing or corrupt files message. I have placed the Dell reinstall disk in each of my slots and still all I get is the missing or corrupt files message. Is there hope for me?

Ok this may happened due to Virus that corrupt or delete some files in the system32 folder.

Put the Windows Installtaion Disk and boot from it. Let it go until you get the final Blue screen for installing WIndows XP.

1. Click Enter as the step for installing XP. (Don't mind about you won't install XP but will only repair the missing files, don't click for recovery console.)

2. Then Press F8

3. Then you will get Install and Repair, choose repair and the setup will do all the rest for you and you will be able to log to windows as normal.

If you have any question feel free to ask for.

Hi,

In addition to the advice from amagnien, Dells usually use F12 to get to the boot menu, where you can choose to boot from your optical drive.

Good luck,

Taff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back