Missing paging file after installing 2nd OS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have installed win 2k on hard drive (partitioned using partition magic). This drive contained XP as primary before installation of second OS. Dual boot works OK. When attempting to load 2k the following happens. Boots up, etc., green desktop background appears, error message "paging file is missing or too small". Click OK, green desktop hangs, no icons appear.

Go back to XP - My computer/performance/virtual memory displays both drives. Paging files have been made maximum size for each drive.

Go back to 2K, repeat steps, still no resolution. Can anyone help other than to suggest I get a second HD. I'd like to resolve this problem if possible.

Are you trying to make both Windows' use the same pagefile(s)?

AFAIK that doesn't work. Not out of the box at least.

dharma1952 said:
Go back to XP - My computer/performance/virtual memory displays both drives. Paging files have been made maximum size for each drive.
Then there's no room for another pagefile. Set them smaller - or how much do you need?

No matter what size I set the paging files - I get the same error message when trying to boot up 2K - "missing paging file or file is too small".

The Virtual Memory in XP 'seems' to be able to let me set the page file size for each individual drive separately.

Which seems to mean (to me and I know nothing that's why I'm asking), that some 2K files may have installed themselves on the root directory even though the C drive is a separate drive letter from the 2K drive. 2K is on a separate, partitioned drive, and therefore, cannot access or read its own paging file for some unknown reason, although I have speculated what could be causing the problem.

Does anyone out there know what I mean? :(

You said that under XP you have set the pagefile to live on both drives. I assume (that's bad, I know :p ) that when 2k tries to use the pagefile that XP created it spooks out.

Under XP set it to use a pagefile only where 2k doesn't. Delete the pagefiles you have created this far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back