Missing Windows OS disc for Dell Latitude D620

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone. I have my new Dell Latitude D620 that i purchased and have recently wiped the hard drive. However, i have now realized that my desktop OS disc is not working to install windows onto my laptop. Are there any other ways to install windows without purchasing 200-300$ software? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

ChillCash said:
Hi Everyone. I have my new Dell Latitude D620 that i purchased and have recently wiped the hard drive. However, i have now realized that my desktop OS disc is not working to install windows onto my laptop. Are there any other ways to install windows without purchasing 200-300$ software? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

There should be a holographic Microsoft Windows sticker on the bottom of the laptop. You can use the product key listed on it to install Windows. Chances are, the laptop came with Windows XP Home OEM, which you will need to find somewhere.

If it is a new machine, then you can get a replacement from dell. Just let them know the one you have will not complete the install. If it was purchased from a 3rd party and is used, Find out if it is still covered under warranty. If it is, ask that person to call dell and do a change of ownership. Once there system shows you as owner (or you get the info used when they purchased and/or registered the computer, if you bought from a friend) you should be able to get help from Dell.

Good Luck. Let me know how it turns out.

Hey Magicmanlvl1........... Do you know if there is a way to get help thru Dell if I don't know how the previous owner registered the Dell D620 laptop and have no known way to reach them to find out....
Will Dell help in connecting with 1st registered owner.

You can still register the computer at Dell... leave original owner blank. It takes Dell 15 days to determine it is not stolen.
Then you can buy the disk set for less than $30, including shipping... if the certificate of authenticity is stuck on the bottom of the computer, you are home free.

Thanks RayBay............fo duh info.......I'll try it out with Dell.
Will be great if that's all I have to do..........
Do you know the best place to get a motherboard for the D620 ?
Need one with a Nvidia chip.
Thanks again

Take the number off the existing motherboard, then begin searching eBay. We have obtained excellent, new Dell boards there, still in the original heavy plastic shrink wrap. Google searchs with the model number also produce sources.
The D620 is a very bad problem board with not many fixes available. We consider it among the top 3 most difficult for repairing a password problem. So a small industry is developing among the replacement geeks.

H there

if you just call dell they will send you one for free along with the drivers disk, but he best thing to do is to down load the drivers for the web site they are up to date the ones on the disk are old. you After installing the os you Might have to install network drivers to get on the net then go to dell.com

Dell will not send you a free Windows disc

But they do sell Restore discs at reduced cost, if yours is missing or faulty
Not all Dell computers are still supported by Dell Support, ie this thread is now 3 years old
In this case just Google for a Dell Restore disc or purchase a new Windows disc

All Dell drivers and support info can be found here: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic100658.html

if you just call dell they will send you one for free
i might have the disk you need i have a pill of them
Which is it, call Dell or contact you?
Personally I'd say call Dell for this Windows OS disc
Or if they didn't have it, I might even Google for some large private distributor that may stock and sell restore discs.

But I don't think I'd call you redheadrmt, as I don't really think you know what you are saying!
And you've just come to a tech forum and revived some really old thread, it really isn't looking good
You do know that all support must be provided for free here? (or manufacture only) Are you just giving away these "pill" (not sure what that word means) of discs?
If so, then I'll take a few please, just upload the free legal links :haha:

Why are you posting here again :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back