TechSpot

Missisg audio due to missing SM Bus Controller?

By Phoenix_306
Aug 31, 2006
  1. Hi guys - first time posting here, hope i'm not breaking any rules by being in the wrong forum or something!!!!

Anyway - i'm well and truly stumped. Recently i formatted my PC and reinstalled XP. This was all great until i tried to play an mp3 to discovered i had no audio!!

I've tried everything since - audio drivers etc etc, but nothing seems to work.

According to the device manager, I have a couple of big yellow exclamation marks next to SM Bus Controller and SIS 7018 Audio driver. I've tried to reinstall
    the audio driver but it won't let me, and i can't find the Bus controller driver!!!

gahhhh! help me please!!!!

Please find below a summary of my system - hope this is of use!

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EVEREST Home Edition © 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST v2.20.405
    Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
    Report Type Report Wizard
    Computer MARK
    Generator Mark's Comp
    Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
    Date 2006-08-31
    Time 14:04

Summary

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
    Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition
    OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
    DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
    Computer Name MARK
    User Name Mark's Comp

Motherboard:
    CPU Type Intel Pentium 4, 2800 MHz (21 x 133)
    Motherboard Name MSI MS-6703 (TriGem OEM)
    Motherboard Chipset SiS 648
    System Memory 512 MB (PC2100 DDR SDRAM)
    BIOS Type Award (11/01/02)
    Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
    Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
    Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
    Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X (Microsoft Corporation) (128 MB)
    3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X
    Monitor Plug and Play Monitor [NoDB] (12426028)

Multimedia:
    Audio Adapter SiS 7012 Audio Device

Storage:
    IDE Controller SiS PCI IDE Controller
    Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
    Disk Drive SAMSUNG SV1204H (120 GB, 5400 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)
    Disk Drive Multi Flash Reader USB Device (117 MB, USB)
    Disk Drive SEAGATE ST3250823A USB Device (250 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)
    Optical Drive HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4167B (DVD+R9:8x, DVD-R9:4x, DVD+RW:16x/8x, DVD-RW:16x/6x, DVD-RAM:5x, DVD-ROM:16x, CD:48x/32x/48x DVD+RW/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM)
    Optical Drive JLMS DVD-ROM LTD-166S (16x/48x DVD-ROM)
    SMART Hard Disks Status OK

2. Phoenix_306

Phoenix_306 TS Rookie Topic Starter

update on my problem!!

Been messing about now doing various things, and now the problem has changed! I still can't get audio, but the two errors mentioned before have gone, and now in other devices under device management, it now has Multimedia Audio
    Controller with a yellow exclamation mark!!!!!

what's going on?

thanks

3. N3051M

N3051M TS Evangelist Posts: 2,115

It means that the drivers arn't installed properly. Download the latest ones from the website of your PC manufacturer or your motherboard/soundcard and install those over it..

4. Phoenix_306

Phoenix_306 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I've tried all that. It's an Advent 3214 - the advent web site is useless, and there's barely anything online regarding my model pc. I've been on the MSI drivers website, but i can't find the drivers for my model.

I've downloaded the drivers for SIS 7018 audio controller and run them to no effect. i have also downloaded and run the IDE setup files that are apparently for my chipset to no avail.

i have an Advent system recovery disk, but i can't run it because everytime i do it says it can't continue because ntkrnlmp.exe is missing. however, i have made sure that this file is present in on the c drive - is it missing on the disk? (the disk is a little scratched).

5. N3051M

N3051M TS Evangelist Posts: 2,115

Download SIW (system info for windows).

Its kinda like everest (so you need to navigate to the info about your audio "card"), and it should link you to a site that has the drivers for your audio card

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.