Mistakingly formatted computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey i was wondering if anyone could help me out with a problem my usb stopped working than asked to be format in my stupidity i clicked yes and lost all my tafe work is there anyway to get it back

Nope.

When you format you wipe everything from the drive. Learnt this the hard way in highschool:- never hit format

i know there are tools available after mistakenly deleting things, or file systems get corrupted, etc.

But is there a way to recovery after you've re-formatted??

now, i'm curious as well..

Most certainly yes

Actually if you had formatted 3 times in a row, you can still recover previous data
The only way to securely remove any remains of any previous data, to make it impossible to recover, is by a securely "wiping" the drive (in essence loading 1s or 0s on every single area of a harddrive sector or platter). Not only that but it's recommended to do this for minimum 3 wipes but ideally 7 to be sure that your data is inaccessible to any future prying eyes

In other words, formatting would never be counted as securely removing data never to be recovered again. And to secure this understanding many businesses once they are through with original harddrives (be that through failure or updating or redundancy) will physically destroy the original harddrive, so as to stop any possible recovery that could easily be performed by the kid next door, just by downloading easily accessible free recovery tools.

Most certainly yes

Actually if you had formatted 3 times in a row, you can still recover previous data
The only way to securely remove any remains of any previous data, to make it impossible to recover, is by a securely "wiping" the drive (in essence loading 1s or 0s on every single area of a harddrive sector or platter). Not only that but it's recommended to do this for minimum 3 wipes but ideally 7 to be sure that your data is inaccessible to any future prying eyes

In other words, formatting would never be counted as securely removing data never to be recovered again. And to secure this understanding many businesses once they are through with original harddrives (be that through failure or updating or redundancy) will physically destroy the original harddrive, so as to stop any possible recovery that could easily be performed by the kid next door, just by downloading easily accessible free recovery tools.

Oh yea.....

Thanks for kicking the "grey matter" in my head to help start my own "recovery"

Completely forgot about things like "quick" vs. "full" re-formatting let alone "secure" erases!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back