Mixing different brands of ram?

By Legoflamb
Dec 6, 2007
  1. Ok so I bought myself a computer for christmas and the girlfriend wants gift ideas ideas and I was thinking of an extra gig of ram or something.

I'm not sure the brand of the ram I'm getting but I know it's pc5300 667mhz.

I know some ram is better than other ram with regards to timings and all that but is it a good idea to buy a rnadom gig of ram in the same speed to add to my existing 2?
  2. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 3,814

If the mobo is asus then mixing ram brands is a nightmare, if it's another make you may be ok.
  3. Legoflamb

Legoflamb TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 149

Why is that just out of interest?

I think it's an Asrock conroe 1066 or something - is this a terrible board anyway?
  4. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 3,814

I don't know the reason for it but I personally have had problems with mixed ram in an asus board and so have 2 of my friends.

Sorry, i have no idea about the asrock board as i believe its an intel board and im an amd user.
  5. THNDR143

THNDR143 TS Member Posts: 43

If you are this worried about mixing ram, then simply install it and sit back and watch. If her ram boots with no glitches, then KEEP it and spend the $$$$$ to replace your crappy ram with the same type SHE bought for u.
    This keeps you AND her from killing each other. :) Have fun!!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.