Mixing PC100 with PC133 SDRAM for XPS R400 Dell

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Dell XPS R400 with 196 Mb (32/32/128) of PC100 SDRAM running windows xp. I wanted to upgrade memory. Dell claims the machine can handle ~380 Mb of PC100 SDRAM. I checked around on-line, and it appeared that I could install PC133 SDRAM on this machine. My machine does not boot after I installed a single stick of 128 Mb PC133 SDRAM. It will boot with the original PC100 SDRAM. Any ideas?

This discussion indicates that my machine can handle more memory: https://www.techspot.com/vb/all/win...XPS-R400-with-Intel-SE440BX2-motherboard.html How can I verify this?

Thanks---

This is the most obvious problem. The memory could be bad too. I geuss I am looking for other answers (that may not exist).

well, some rams are not backward compatible. Some pc133 ram can only run at 133 while some are pc100/pc133. You should check to see if your ram can run at 133. Also, some mobo are picky as to how many bank of ram you can install, sometimes in order to get the max ram, you may need the single sided ram.

never mix speeds, types, and brands of ram. if it works at all, it will only work at the slowest speed. Generally you wind up with issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back