Mobile AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Overclocking

By F1N3ST
Feb 18, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Just picked up one of these bad boys for 20$.
    The seller sent me this CPU-z Screenshot
    http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=169751
    It is actually 2Ghz not 800Mhz it is a BIOS conflict.

So first off I need a Cheap good OCing Mobo, any suggestions
    Is water worth it because I have good airflow.
    I am coupling this with 512Mb of DDR (Which I payed 30$ for)
    And my old Xion Xon-103 case with 2x120MM fans and a 80MM fan

And lastly what kind of OC can I expect?
  2. MetalX

MetalX TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,909

Prob not that much. Athlon 64 Mobile's don't have the overclocking reputation of Barton core Athlon XP-Ms. Plus Clawhammers aren't the best A64s for OC-ing. You might hit ~2.4GHz? maybe 2.5..
  3. F1N3ST

F1N3ST Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 1,088

I saw this OC record page, and the lowest and A64-m clawhammer hit 3Ghz but I dont really expect that much. .5Ghz isnt a bad overclock even if that is the highest.
  4. MetalX

MetalX TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,909

Lol. Well it WOULD probably go farther than a normal ClawHammer... but newer cores go a good bit farther than Hammers...

Case in point: My 3200+ Venice is one of the worst Venice cores for overclocking ever. I need 1.5125V just to get to 2400MHz, and it won't go 20MHz past that even at 1.55V. But I still got 20% out of it. And it's one of the WORST (if not the worst :() overclocking Venice cores.

Maybe it's defective :dead:

And then of course... good old agi_shi :stickout: His X2 3800+ isn't a Venice, but he got it to ~2.8GHz @ 1.475V.
  5. agi_shi

agi_shi Newcomer, in training Posts: 507

Well, MetalX maybe you just got the one worst 3200+ venice to ever overclock :dead:

My 800MHz overclock is pretty mild, Windsor X2 3800+s (mine) have gone up to 3.3GHz, and Manchesters (I believe it was manchesters, I forget :p ) have went to 3.5GHz.

@F1N3ST: About the mobo, I'm not too sure. I don't think you should go water cooling though, unless you wanna attempt to break some records or something :) .

Edited by Moderator: Removed quote. There`s no need to quote the post directly above your own. ;)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.