TechSpot

Mobile Lab cloning issues...(potential).

By lemri
Apr 18, 2007
  1. HI, I just got 500 new laptops I need to set up as wireless labs. We have never done wireless before. I am thinking of using a VMWare server or Ghost to make the images, but I have a general question.

What issues can I expect to run into? I amt trying to prep myself before the project, but I can't seem to find any information on setting up cloned images wirelessly. I feel very comfortable with wired networks.

I am guessing I need to worry about multicasting, but I am not sure about what specifics I need to know. As of now, I know I need multicasting. On a wired network I know I need IGMP, but I feel lost on wireless devices.

I know I need to keep my power save mode on my laptop nics turned off, other then that...I feel like I am starting this in the dark.

Anyone have any resources, ideas, or potential problems I need to research out?

2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

I don't think there are many cloning programs that support wireless. UDPcast has some limited support I think.. You most likely have to clone over the wire.

Any other issues from cloning are the same as for wired setups.

All internet protocols are totally network-independent. You can run them over any type of network exactly the same.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.