Mobo got fried, dont want to lose stored data

By RUstoney2
Jan 16, 2006
  1. Let me start by saying I am a ***** when it comes to computer hardware, so please bear with me.

I have an eMachines T2895 with 2.8 GHz Celeron processor. It is in a frozen state, where it will not power up, but the status light, and the fan is always on. The monitor only displays a self test, then goes into powersave.

A friend looked at it and told me that the Mobo was fried. I do not want to lose pics and videos I have stored. If I change the Mobo with a new one that is the exactly the same, will I lose information saved. After I change the Mobo, can I access stored files?

Like I said, I'm not good at this, so what is the best way to get my computer working without losing the data I want to keep?
  2. DonNagual

DonNagual TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,404

Assuming that your friends diagnosis is correct (and assuming when your motherboard fried it didn't take any other parts with it), yes. If you install a new (identical) motherboard, that should fix you up and your data will be intact.

If it were me though, in the meantime I would take that hard drive out and install it as a slave in another machine to get your files off.
  3. Peddant

Peddant TS Rookie Posts: 1,446

4. elfi

elfi TS Rookie Posts: 68

Yo everything taht you save in windows like files is stored in your Hard drive not your mobo that means everything is still in there o.k.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.