Mobo got fried, dont want to lose stored data

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me start by saying I am a ***** when it comes to computer hardware, so please bear with me.

I have an eMachines T2895 with 2.8 GHz Celeron processor. It is in a frozen state, where it will not power up, but the status light, and the fan is always on. The monitor only displays a self test, then goes into powersave.

A friend looked at it and told me that the Mobo was fried. I do not want to lose pics and videos I have stored. If I change the Mobo with a new one that is the exactly the same, will I lose information saved. After I change the Mobo, can I access stored files?

Like I said, I'm not good at this, so what is the best way to get my computer working without losing the data I want to keep?

Assuming that your friends diagnosis is correct (and assuming when your motherboard fried it didn't take any other parts with it), yes. If you install a new (identical) motherboard, that should fix you up and your data will be intact.

If it were me though, in the meantime I would take that hard drive out and install it as a slave in another machine to get your files off.

Yo everything taht you save in windows like files is stored in your Hard drive not your mobo that means everything is still in there o.k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back