Mobo identification?

Status
Not open for further replies.

charvey

Greetings,
I would like to upgrade my 4.3Gb Samsung VA34324A to a 120 Gb Seagate ATA/100 (which is paid for and on its way...$30.00). My computer was given to me so I don't know if the mobo will support this drive or if I need a PCI IDE controller card. Can I ID my mobo looking in "My Computer"? Under the "General" tab, it lists: x86 Family 6 Model 3 Stepping 4
AT/AT Compatible
It also has an Intel 82371 AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE controller and a
Pentium II 82443LX/EX.
I am ignorant of computers and spent 3 evenings surfing computer sites to formulate this (hopefully) intelligible question.
Ken

Thanks for the download link! Unfortunately, that program did not reveal the mobo's manufacturer or model (fields were gray). It did, however, reveal this info: Chipset Intel i440LX
Southbridge Intel 82371 (PIIX4)
Sensor National LM78
BIOS Award Software v.4.51 PG

Can anyone tell me what I will need to enable this mobo to support a Seagate ATA/100 120Gb 7200? If this is an antiquated, generic mobo, I may just cancel the HD order. I only bought it because it was $30 and I have a 4Gb HD and I use PhotoShop.
-Ken

Download the free Everest home edition programme from HERE

If that doesn`t tell you what mobo you have, then open your case and look at the mobo. The model should be either printed on the circuitboard, or printed on a sticker.

Regards Howard :) :)

Deffinately try the Everest home edition link above. That is what I would of listed. All kinds of specs you'll probably never need. *hint* Use the "Produce Report" feature it offers.

what os are you running win98 will not like that size hard drive
even if your board is a 66mhz ide you can still run a 100 on it ,just make sure you use a 80 wire 40 pin ide cable
since you are going to open it up anyway ,just do it now and get board info off and look it up.
this way your ahead of game you might even look into memory upgrade
memory for that board's limited no doubt,but the more the merryer and it's cheap noe to

When you open the case, look between the white PCI-card slots. That's where you normally find make and model printed.
CPU and chipset should be OK for that disk. W98/SE might limit partitions to 32GB, just make 4 of them. ME/W2K and XP have no problems there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back