Mobo or Cpu Fried?

By mokaboy
Dec 12, 2006
  1. Hello,

I have a problem.... Need some advice...

Basically by accident i kicked my pc while it was on which resulted it in turning off? I tried turning it back on with no luck so i took it apart and reseated CPU (i wish i didnt now) and made sure everything was connected. I then turned the computer on but smelt burning so i turned it st8 off. The comptuer will now turn on but will no post... i wana know what needs replacing, the MOBO or the CPU or what to do next? I do not have a mate who has another AMD64 system i can test the cpu with.

Computer is a

AMD64 3400+ Newcastle Core
    512mb RAM
    80 Sata
    Gigabyte K8800? something like that nothing special
  2. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,569

what happens most often in cases like this is the motherboard is damaged. often times, a hairline fracture will occur, which is invisible to the naked eye but can render the board useless. if you have no spare parts to test, i recommend taking the box to a local PC repair shop, where they can interchange working parts to determine what broke.

usually, when a running machine is kicked, knocked over, or dropped (i've seen all 3 happen plenty of times), the hard drive is destroyed. but first, you should turn you attentions to getting the system to POST.
  3. mokaboy

mokaboy TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 136

ok to make it post, other than going to a repair shop what do you most likely think it is? mobo or cpu? i can buy either of these and if its not i can take it back. Christmas is obviously coming soon so i wanna get it done. :) mobo or cpu? im guessing/hoping mobo.
  4. Jimbeau

Jimbeau TS Rookie

I'd start by buying & trying a mobo, because they are cheaper than CPU's.
  5. zephead

i'd say there's a high probability that the mobo went bad.
  6. TimeParadoX

TimeParadoX TS Rookie Posts: 2,273

How do you accedently kick your computer? :haha:

well It's probably a Mobo problem because those things are fragile ( when you kick them :D ) so a part probably got disconnected or something like that
  7. rmdl51

rmdl51 TS Maniac Posts: 244

LOL been there!!
    I accidentally kicked my computer so many times but I guess mine is a little bit more resistant :p . At work I hit a working computer with my arm, not really a big deal but it freeze, so when I tried to restart, won't POST and smells burned, so I take a look at the components and one of the components melted on the MOBO, the problem was that MOBO wasn't very well secured and it moved and I guess it made ground contact or something and short circuit that component.
    Well like everybody else said, try MOBO first, I know newer intel CPU's shut down itselfs if they are at burning risk. but i guess is not the same for AMD's
  8. patrickeriksson

patrickeriksson TS Rookie

What HSF do you have? The reason why I am asking is because if you have a heavy aftermarket one there is a small chance that the CPU got damaged if you kicked it. The weight and leverage of the heatsink can actually crack the core.
  9. zephead

doubtful. if anything happened involving the heatsink, the socket or mobo would probably be damaged instead.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.