Mobo probs and others....

By Yakob
May 6, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I recently upgraded from my asus Mobo to a foxconn board because i needed a PCIx16 slot for my graphics card and, at first everything went fine, went into BIOS and set time/boot options etc but then when i went to boot it comes up with
    SYSTEM DISK ERROR. PLEASE INSERT BOOT DISK AND PRESS ENTER.
    My HDD that i'm using has XP Home installed on it. the PC worked before i changed board, and the new board is full-size ATX with 24-Pin Power socket, the power supply i'm using is 20-Pin. i found out it will work but i don't know whether this is the problem.
    the jumpers/connections are all set-up properly but if i don't get the above error i get a Disk Read Error, or no boot at all. Could it be because of the Power supply? or could it be a HDD problem? i need hellp on this.
  2. N3051M

N3051M Newcomer, in training Posts: 2,800

new mobo.. try recheck all data/power cables and reset CMOS.
    Try a windows Repair.
  3. Yakob

Yakob Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 77

hmm... would try that but it won't boot into windows or anything i pput into my CD drive.
  4. CCT

CCT Newcomer, in training Posts: 3,556

Keep this in mind: the OLD mobo was an Asus and had specific chipsets on board that you installed drivers for in the OS on the hard drive you are trying to transfer.

Now, your new mobo also has specific chipsets, and they are likely different. Thus, you are trying to get the new mobo to boot-talk to a 'foreign' drive/OS and , as can often be expected, that won't work.

What might work, if you can afford it, is to install a NEW drive as master, install a NEW OS and chipset drivers etc, then slave the OLD drive and get your files.

Conversely, you could grab whatever you need by slaving the drive in a friends comp and saving to cd anything important, then do a clean install in yours.

:)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.