TechSpot

Mobo recomendation for a Q6600

By Ragnorth
Aug 6, 2008
  1. Hi all, I'm seeking a little advise on a new mobo.

I currently have a Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 with a GeForce GTX 280 gc, the pc is used as a pure gaming machine. I am looking to upgrade the mobo. Can anyone suggest what to go for ?

It would need to have 2 PCIe slots, for future sli ;-), and i dont know wether to stay DDR2 or go DDR3, but that woould mean buying new ram aswell...

Any suggestions ?
    Cheers
    Jim

2. larryiam

larryiam TS Rookie Posts: 476

Well what price range are you looking at and what type of ram do you have now?

3. Obi-Wan Jerkobi

Obi-Wan Jerkobi TS Maniac Posts: 502

What speed DDR2 do you have and what is the budget, just like larryiam said? And 2 PCIe slots for SLI suggest >$100 so here's something to get us started on the hunt.

4. larryiam

larryiam TS Rookie Posts: 476

Oh yea if you want to keep that DDR2 hear is a recommendation Click Here

5. Ragnorth

Ragnorth TS Rookie Topic Starter

I was looking to spend about £150 to £200 ish, i know its a broad figure but.....
    I have OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) PC2-6400C5 800MHz memory at the moment. So if i went to a DDR3 mobo i will need to buy new ram...

6. Obi-Wan Jerkobi

Well, the mobo I posted above and larryiam's use DDR2-800 so you can keep that if you go for it. But if it's £150 then that's almost $300 in the US so...

Here's an nForce 780i board for 249USD and it uses DDR2-800.

7. Ragnorth

Is there going to be a possibility where DDR3 is a must rather than 2. If so is it worth going for a DDR3 board now ? or just sticking with the 2 ??

8. Obi-Wan Jerkobi

Since DDR3 is so infinitely expensive at the moment, it'd cost about $200USD to buy the same amount of ram you have now. And the DDR3 Memory Controller adds $50 to the price of the board. Not to mention there's not too much of a notable increase. I say it's better sticking with 2.

9. Ragnorth

Many thanks for all your help

10. pdyckman@comcas

pdyckman@comcas TS Rookie Posts: 527

The Q6600 runs @ 1066 FSB. I bought an Asus P5Kn-SLI. Works great. They are not as high as 200 U.S.dollars. More like $130. I love mine.

11. Obi-Wan Jerkobi

Just doing my job. :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.