TechSpot

Mobo Replacement Question

By midnight_aaron
Oct 25, 2007
  1. Hello everyone, and thank you for taking the time to view my post!

My...LOL:haha:....Emachines w227 went poops due to the dreaded power supply failure taking the mobo with it as well. I have had NO luck with emachines support on replacement questions.

I would like to purchase a new mobo that will still allow me to use my restore CDs ( I was told that a mobo of either the same type or manufacturer(?) would work with my restore Cds) so I do not have to purchase Windows...that would start to get expensive! I was hoping to upgrade to a superior board, if possible in this scenario.

And one dumb question, do new mobos come with the processor, or is that a stand alone purchase? :eek: me not too smart...lol

Thank you everyone for you help and I am glad to see such a helpful community!

-Aaron

Here is all the specifacations on the computer:
    Operating System: Genuine Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition

CPU: AMD Athlon™ XP Processor 2200+ (1.800GHz) with QuantiSpeed™ architecture
    Monitor Bundle: eMachines® 17" eView™ 17s2 Monitor
    (16" Viewable, 0.27mm dot pitch)
    Chipset: VIA KM 266
    Memory: 128MB DDR (PC2100)
    Hard Drive: 40GB HDD
    Optical Drive: 48x Max. CD-RW Drive; 3.5" 1.44MB FDD
    Video: S3 ProSavage8™ integrated (1 AGP slot available for upgrade)
    Sound: AC '97 Audio
    Network: 10/100Mbps built-in Ethernet
    Modem: 56K ITU v.92-ready Fax/Modem
    Peripherals: Standard Multi-Media Keyboard, 2-Button Wheel Mouse, Amplified Stereo Speakers
    Ports/Other: 6 USB 2.0 ports (2 on front), 1 Serial, 1 Parallel, 2 PS/2, Audio In & Out, Mic-In & Head Phone jack on front, 3 PCI slots (2 available)
    Dimensions: 7.25"W x 14.125"H x 16"D

2. Intel-FREAKIUM

Intel-FREAKIUM TS Rookie

if you still have the origional hard drive it should have windows and should be configured to your hardware (mobo) and no, your motherboard does not come with a new prossesor you will have to swap a few things from your old mobo onto your new one, no windows installation is required, if you want you can send me a private message and we can discuss this further :)

3. kpo6969

kpo6969 TS Maniac Posts: 710

If the OS is an oem it's tied to the mobo.

4. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

you would do far better by replacing the system and salvaging what you can from the parts.

5. Rilla927

Rilla927 TS Rookie Posts: 152

I second that answer.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.