MOBO socket 2011 or 1155?

boagz57

So I'm trying to decide what mobo I want for my gaming/video ediiting pc build. I've gotten a few suggestions from people to really look towards the x79 mobo's that have the 2011 socket. They say that the 2011 should have a longer shelf life due to its support of future 6 core CPU's from intel. My question is do you guys thinks its worth getting a 2011 mobo? or should I just stick with the 1155 mobo? If you think 2011 then what 2011 mobo would you suggest? (going for a 1500 - 1700 dollar pc).

I think you should focus on what CPU you want to base your build around rather than the MOBO. That will make the choice for you seeing as a CPU is only compliant with certain socket types.

Well let me ask you this then, what cpu do you think would be best suited for video editing Bluray video? I don't know if there would be a difference between lets say the i7 3820 (2011) or the i7 3770K (1155). Also I just want my computer to be upgradeable for the next couple of years which was why I was intrigued by the 2011.

Well, if I was picking between the two I'd go with the 3770K. It's the quicker chip and it's easily overclocked. I honestly don't think it's worthwhile to go to the 2011 platform unless you're going to be purchasing one of the 6 core CPU's. But, honestly, if I were you'd id go with something from Haswell. Seeing as sockets were changed between IB and Haswell, and you're concerned about future upgradability. I'd think that the newer platform will give you the best options down the road. Thus, I'd recommend something like a 4770K. I'm sure other members will be able to give better input though.

Okay, thank you for your feedback! I'll have to ask around a little more and see what people think.

I think you should go with the 3930K (LGA 2011;X79) if you are a hardcore video editor. Otherwise, just stick with a 4770K.

With the budget you have, the X79 platform is not cost effective.

The LGA 2011 is supposed to support the upcoming Ivy-Bridge E chips and will of course have 4 and 6 core variants similar to now. I would suggest it only if you really wanna have the Quad Channel memory support and the High PCIE Bandwidth for things like Quad Video Cards. Otherwise grabbing a 4770k will be just as good on the 1150 platform. If you really want to go for 2011, I would suggest waiting the 2 months for the new gen coming in September because its going to be a nice performance increase over Sandy Bridge E (Or wait for the hopeful price drop on Sandy Bridge-E)

The LGA 2011 is supposed to support the upcoming Ivy-Bridge E chips and will of course have 4 and 6 core variants similar to now. I would suggest it only if you really wanna have the Quad Channel memory support and the High PCIE Bandwidth for things like Quad Video Cards. Otherwise grabbing a 4770k will be just as good on the 1150 platform. If you really want to go for 2011, I would suggest waiting the 2 months for the new gen coming in September because its going to be a nice performance increase over Sandy Bridge E (Or wait for the hopeful price drop on Sandy Bridge-E)

Not quite. Ivy Bridge-E will really just have power savings. Tom's Hardware gots an engineering sample of IB-E and it only offers a 1-7% performance increase over SB-E.

Did it really? I was assuming higher than that to be honest...That's disappointing, I was waiting on that for awhile, but then again ill still want to see it for myself, but im going to look that up now!

I just read up on it....................................................
Well my first complaint (I hope theres one at release), WHERES MY 4930K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope they don't skip on that because that's the one I wanted lol. But anyway it seems the cooling performance from using less power might be nice because 5.0ghz will hopefully be easily attainable like it was on Sandy Bridge-E while running nicer (This is my hope at least). I dunno, its going to be a hard contest this round...

Back